Brand new chicks sick: lethargic, not eating or drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meernaa, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Meernaa

Meernaa New Egg

Jan 31, 2011
    I received my day-old chicks in the mail today. Unfortunately, three Silkies died in transit and two others (a Silkie and a Blue Andalusian) are ill. Any tips for nursing them back to health?

The blue doesn't want to eat or drink, even after encouragement (putting its beak in food/water). It keeps its eyes closed and mostly lies down, but splays out its wings and legs in an unnatural way compared to the others (not propping itself up, just looking like a puddle). Also, it isn't making much peeping anymore, and isn't lifting its head. It doesn't look like it swallowed any bedding, I don't know at this point whether there's anything I can do to keep it alive.

The silkie has a little more energy than the blue, it can eat and drink, but isn't as lively as the rest of the bunch and lies down in a similar way. I'm concerned it has the same issue as the blue, but maybe not as bad, though.

I have medicated starter feed and water with a little molasses in it. The brooder is at 95 degrees.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated, thank you.

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It sounds like your chicks had a hard trip. Some poly-vi-sol might help. Usually it is dehydration that causes this. If you can get them to drink some warm sugar water and put a couple drops of the baby vitamins in each beak. Dip their beaks often in the warm sugar water. I forget, maybe use Two or Three Tablespoons per quart of warm water. The chicks need 95 to 100 degrees in the brooder, with a way to escape the heat if necessary. The silkies are so small and seem to wilt quickly sometimes. I wish you the best of luck. To give you hope: One day I found my brooder box of newly hatched 3 day old chicks cold, cheeping loudly and there were three dead ones on the bottom of the cold dark box, and they had spilled the water, so they were wet. They were limp and I thought dead. I was in a rush to get to work, so I put them back in the bator and left them. When I got home 14 hours later, they were up, fluffy and active. I called them little miracles. I have no idea how they survived. Usually they are truly dead at that point. So keep your hopes up.

HenZ

3. Meernaa

Meernaa New Egg

Jan 31, 2011
    Thank you so much for such a quick reply. The blue just died, but your tips might save my last silkie.

It's true the trip could have been hard on them, there's some cold weather between Iowa and California! I was expecting some loss, so it's not completely unsurprising, but sad nevertheless. Your chicken story is inspiring, by the way. I look forward to having great moments with these birds, and I have so much to learn along the way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by