Brand new coop going up!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlips, Apr 10, 2007.

1. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coop #2 is going up! DH says this is the last one! Of course he knows me better than that...I'll just wait another year or two. LOL!!! This beauty will be 8 X 12 with a fenced yard that will connect to the present chicken yard. I was lucky in finding the windows at Habitat For Humanity for $40 a piece. They're $125 each at a building store, so I really scored there! I have an old small stained glass window that I've had stored for years and it's going in the wall next to the front door, which also has a window in the top half. DH has two weeks left to finish, so I'll post pics as he progresses. Once again he doesn't have plans to follow, so it amazes me that he creates so beautifully!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Oh, how nice!!!! Just think how many new chickens!

And think how many new chickens you can get in your NEXT last one...

[​IMG]

3. chickens^^

chickens^^ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    West Virginia
    Could u please post some measurements or layout plans, etc. I am 13 and I need to build a coop as soon as possible because my rooster has been attacking my new chickens so my new little hens are in my bathroom right now. They can not go back in the same coop with the rooster because the rooster will just keep attacking them. My roo almost killed one, but I found it early enough to save it. If you do not want to post them here could you
    e-mail them to me- [email protected] I would very much appreciate if you could do so.[​IMG]

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Wow nice [​IMG] You place is beautiful as well !! My hubby & I are working on phase 4 of our chicken coops !! Everytime I get more chics, he builds another coop !!

Miriam

5. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Oh! Very nice. Can't wait for the latest pics.

6. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
  7. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow, even just watching the video clip in that auction you can get a good idea of how to build one yourself! Thanks for posting!

8. chickenlips

Mar 3, 2007
    Oh my goodness, Llysse! I had no idea how addictive chickens could be until I got my first 8 last year. And even then I'd only ordered 5, but of course they always give you extra, so 8 it was. One turned out to be a roo, who was beautiful, but mentally challenged (he couldn't figure out how to climb the ramp into the coop), so I gave him to my brother who has a coop on ground level. He tells me he's never seen such a huge roo! Then last fall I rescued a pullet from becoming a snakes meal and she's like a pet dog. I love her to pieces! Now I've got 20 chicks ranging from 5 weeks to 3 weeks old in an awesome 3' X 6' brooder box that DH built in one afternoon. (I love this man!) Need I say more?!!!

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow... keep up the great work!

I posted in the other thread, but keep taking pictures as you build so we can add them to the BYC coop design section.

For anyone who wants to submit their coop to the BYC site:

It would be great if you could send me a zip file of the images and a write up of your coop including:

* How you built it
    * What materials you used (prices / plans are great if you have them)
    * What you learned during and after the process (is there anything since you finished you wish you'd have done differently)
    * Suggestions to others who are about to build a coop

Basically any details you can provide to help others learn would be great to put in an article.

Some people like to have the text and then pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/jonadams.html
    Others
    like to have the pictures mixed in with the text: https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/pallet-coop.html

Let
    me know if you have any questions!

BTW chickenlips, is your DH available for contract work? I'm sure there are about 1400 members on this forum that could use his expertise!

10. chickenlips

Mar 3, 2007
    The weather's been lousy, so it's set us back a bit, but we have to get it done within the next week, as the chicks now range from 7 1/2 to 5 1/2 weeks. Here are the roof trusses in the shop. Roof trusses going up![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by