brand new coop & i have a few questions about secuity...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by percy, Oct 11, 2009.

1. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    This is our first go @ chickens & we have six 4 week old hens [i hope].
    i built a 12x6 run with an elevated platform & 2 nest boxes... obviously, they won't need the nests for a while, but, i'd like to be able to leave them in there @ night with a heat lamp.
    we put them in today for the first 'run around' & now i'd hate to put them back in their little box.
    we live in NorthSan Diego - so it doesn't get too cold @ night, but i think the lamp will help.
    anyway... i still have a few gaps in the coop.
    at the very top where the soffits will go, they are open 8" x 24" i doubt they can get up that high & get out, but, i'm wondering what might get in?
    & under the door there is a 1" gap - mice maybe? should this coop be fortress tight? or am i over thinking it?
    Oh, & i have the bottom of the coop sealed off with chkn wire too.

2. Stephanie-n-Hayden

Stephanie-n-Hayden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Preditors can most certainly climb into the coop. They can squeeze into the tiniest of holes/gaps too. I would definately put them back into the box untill all is complete. Our coop and run is also preditor proof, with the coop sitting off the ground and the run fenced in and covered with chicken wire. It's the only way to guarentee that they are safe from preditors.

3. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    First I would like to welcom you to BYC, you will find a lot of useful information from a lot of helpful people! you were wondering what can get into your coop through your eves I as well as many others will tell you RACOONS!! I built my coop this past spring and I left the eve on the fenced run side of the coop open for extra ventilation. One evening late this summer I went out to c lose the pop door and found a racoon inside the coop. I have plywood walls and that coon climbed straight up the wall and out the soffit eve. Apparently the coon had been getting in there for some time. I was very fortunate that he was only eating the chicken feed and not the chickens. My son and I cut some boards and closed up the eve that night. And I also went and bought a charger and wire and ran an electric fence around the top of the fence. The fence is over seven feet high. The coon had no problem climbing up the fence.

Good luck with your chickens. Alway remember as has been said many of times on here that everything wants a free chicken dinner!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

A lot of people here post that predators can get through chicken wire. It is for keeeping chickens in, not keeping predators out. Depending on the predators in your area you may want to reinforce. Good luck

Imp

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    close the gaps.

6. percy

percy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Gotcha... Fort Knox is the next stage.
    Thanks for all the replies.