Brand new coop set up

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by darrenschooks, Aug 5, 2014.

1. darrenschooks

darrenschooks New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Orsett, Essex
    Hi, I'm totally new to chicken keeping. I've been wanting them for years and my wife finally gave in [​IMG]
    Now I have three Rhode Island Reds and I got my first (albeit small) egg today. Yesterday I noticed two eggs on the lawn, one had a very very soft shell and the other was without a shell at all. But this morning I found the small proper hard shelled egg... It tasted perfect too!
    I've set up my run in the corner of the garden set on sand with a pickets fence around them. Although they discovered that they could just about squeeze through the pickets! So I'll have to run some chicken wire around it tonight. I had the breaded clip their wings, and they haven't tried to jump up over the fence yet, but I will wait and see what happens once I've put the chicken wire on.
    Anyway, I've been totally bitten by the chicken keeping bug, are there any hints and tips that anyone can give to a newbie?

My son loves them, although he insists on only feeding them grain from a small spade! Ha ha

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on that first egg! :ya they are worth the wait aren't they! Soft shelled eggs and other odd eggs are fairly common in pullets as they are starting to lay as they get their system in gear, they usually aren't anything to worry about. A great place to start is the BYC Learning Center, lots of nice articles on all aspects of poultry keeping you'll find helpful https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on the egg!!

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think your son just feels the chickens need proper eating utensils. Welcome to BYC

6. darrenschooks

darrenschooks New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Orsett, Essex
    Thanks everyone, I'm totally bitten by the chicken keeping bug, I can't believe how much I keep tinkering to get the run and coop just perfect!
    [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, this entire hobby, chickens and all, is very addicting! Enjoy those first eggs and welcome to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by