BRAND new EE's.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JodyJo, Jun 18, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Here are my brand new EE pullets...(time will tell)
    One has the darker legs, the other 2, not so much, is this common?

[​IMG]
    (**I don't name my chicks, but this time I may, so here is Coco)

[​IMG]
    Banana

[​IMG]
    Peanut

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know where you got them, but EE's are a type of chicken, not a breed. They are simply chickens that might have the blue egg gene. They can be crossed with any chicken and, as long as they have the blue egg gene, they can be called EE's. They can look like any other chicken; color, pattern, leg color, skin color, size, different number of toes, it does not matter. Even the pea comb is not an absolute requirement. The blue egg gene follows the pea comb gene about 97% of the time, so 3% of the time, it does not. There are no rules for what an EE will look like.

It is not unusual for a black chicken to have black legs. Obviously, there are dark leg genes in that one's background. People wil say that an EE should have green legs. Mine has yellow legs and lays a beautiful green egg. There are no rules, but the eggs are very nice.

3. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:You answered before I cold remove this...just found out I grabbed a Sumatra chick, it is going back, the girl apologized, it is beating the crap out of the other two, so could be a roo also...its the one I named Peanut...so question answered!

4. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    The day old EEs legs usually darken (get more green or more slate) as they grow older.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Chicks need a few days to get the pecking order straightened out. My d'uccle was fierce as a little chick pecking at everyones eyeballs. After a few days she settled down. I've seen EE's with dark legs as babies.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They're super cute!

Mine had lightly tinted legs that have darkened as they've gotten a bit older.

7. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    As I stated above, I returned the "mean one",Peanut, was a Sumatra and possibly a roo to boot.....here are the 3 I now have...
    one had a bit of pasty butt, as soon as I cleaned it off, she pooped...good to see!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    If they get pasty butt its because of a paper product so u might want to use white wood shavings (never get cedar its bad for u and ur pet). But I wouldnt worry about it unless it keeps happening. They are very cute though! I have Golden Campines and one EE their great! The black one might be an uncommon breed ive never seen a balck EE [​IMG] Good luck you have some very cute chickens!

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Sorry pasty butt does not happen from using paper products its from stress or being overheated-

OP cute as buttons!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  10. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:Sorry pasty butt does not happen from using paper products its from stress or being overheated-

OP cute as buttons!!!

They were on shavings the first night at home, now on pine shavings...but yes, it's stress, they are not overheated, I check the thermometer every few hours...they are chirping and happily eating etc...so I hope this is the only occurrence...they are flippin' adorable, I know, sadly they will be big soon though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by