Brand new from MD

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pmcquitty, Jul 4, 2016.

1. pmcquitty

pmcquitty Just Hatched

Jul 4, 2016
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I just got my coop for my bday! Wanted chickens for years! So overwhelmed, I don't even know where to begin! Any pointers for someone just getting started? Don't even have the coop set up or even know what type of chickens to start with!!

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome to BYC. Chicken breeds depend a lot on where you live and what you want them for. Is it hot, rainy, cold, snowy, humid where you live? Are they for pets, meat, eggs, dual purpose or showing? Also research the type of predators in your area. You will need a bottom on the coop or buried wire to keep digging animals out. And a roof or netting to keep hawks or owls out and chickens in.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] Happy birthday, that is an awesome birthday present! A good place to get started is the Learning Center. It has tons of useful information. Also, I would recommend Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, which is a fantastic book. Thanks for joining us, and good luck! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please check out the Learning center - a great place to start a poultry education. Welcome to the flock.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - enjoy your planning - keeping chickens is not so difficult, so don't worry.

Best wishes
    Ct

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. pmcquitty

pmcquitty Just Hatched

Jul 4, 2016
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Thanks everyone. I've read just about read everything in the Learning Center... and then some, including 3 books that were recommended on this site. My coop and pen are almost ready. I feel like there is so much I don't know and need to learn. A little nervous about actually starting. My coop is on the Eastern Shore of Maryland so we have hot/cold weather and just about every know predator. Fortunately, my husband is a contractor and was able to help me build a pen that should help guard against most of them - the sides are not buried, but curled about a foot out from the pen so a digging predator will hit wire if it tries to dig. Hubby seems to think it will deter digging better. I have fallen in love with the buff Brahma during my breed research-I'm looking for some eggs but mainly needed a hobby. Any advise in starting my flock would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by