Brand new from NJ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aiimi, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Aiimi

Aiimi New Egg

Mar 15, 2015
    Hey there! This seems like a fabulous site! I have always wanted to raise chickens, but never went as far as the thought of it...until i got rid of my terrible husband! Yesterday i saw a beautiful Amish made chicken coop...and instantly became obsessed with filling it with chickens! The idea of fresh eggs.....i cant get out of my head! So, here i am. Im having difficulty finding zoning laws for my town, it says something about not having more than 12 birds on 2 acres of land....but nothing for those who have less land. Going to have to disguise my voice and call the township in the morning...lol.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, those opposing hubbys do get in the way!

Your best bet is to call your local town hall. They should have all the information you need or can tell you who to contact. We do have a Local Chicken Laws and How to Change Them section that you might stop by and browse around or post in too....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of helpful tips and hints on raising your new flock, keeping them healthy and safe from predators....https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hey there! Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you decided to join! Let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help you if we can. [​IMG] There is a lot of great info on here, and lots of very knowledgeable people, so I'm sure you'll be able to find any info you may be looking for.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

6. Aiimi

Aiimi New Egg

Mar 15, 2015
    Thanks everyone! I am planning on calling the zoning board tomorrow...but here is the zoning law in reference to chickens....they are Class III :

In any residential district on a lot of at least two acres in size, not more than two (2)
    Class
    II animals (except pigs) or twelve (12) Class III animals may be kept, except in the case
    of cattle, wherein the lot size shall be no less than five acres. The keeping of pigs shall
    be prohibited in all residential, business, or industrial zoning districts. All Class II or
    Class III animals shall be kept enclosed in a pen, corral, or ot
    her suitable enclosure with
    appropriate animal housing provided. No animal shall be housed however, or manure
    stored outdoors closer than two hundred feet to any adjacent street or property line.

Soooooo...my question would be, what if i have less than 2 acres? Does that mean no chickens for me? Does that mean that 12 for two acres, 6 for one acre? Anyone on here a zoning guru? I am really hoping that they do not tell me no.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You've been given some great advice already. Best of luck!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Usually when they say birds/acre you have to have the minimum number of acres to have any birds, it is pretty common way of prohibiting birds without actually saying they are not allowed, just make it too difficult for most people to meet the requirements. TwoCrows gave you a good link for working on getting your ordinances changed if that does wind up being the case.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you considered a couple bantam house chickens? Seramas originated in Malaysia and were bred to be house pets. They are very small, and take confinement well. My friend has two older hens that get on the chair and watch tv with her. BYC has a very active thread called "people with house chickens."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by