BRAND new hen and 3 chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by penny, Aug 4, 2007.

1. penny

penny New Egg

Jul 7, 2007
    Northeast Oklahoma
    i bought a cochin hen with three chicks at an auction today . . . my FIRST chickens since we moved onto a new property that already HAD A COOP!! anyway, i also bought 5 one-year-old cinnamon queen layers. so, these chicks, by what i can tell from other's pictures, are under one week old. i currently have them in a dog crate with mama, simply because i don't know what to do. i'm in oklahoma, it's in the high 90's daily and mid 70's nighttime. what shall i do?
    thanks to anybody with suggestions

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Well, I would assume that wherever they came from they were already outdoors. And you don't need to worry about temps if the babies will continue to be raised by mom. They will go in and out from under her for their warmth needs. She will also show them what to eat. If they are about a week old, offer the entire group chick starter. The babies should not have layer ration due to too high calcium. And mommy doesn't need the calcium right now while she's raising her young ones..she won't lay eggs for at least 6 weeks. That group will need a space separate from the layers you bought or they may try to fight mama or hurt the babies. Just some initial thoughts..I'm sure others will come along with more advice. Good luck with them. Sounds like you are going to have some fun.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by