Brand new "Hen"

TonkaBarbie

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Newport, NC
Hi Everyone,
I am brand new to this whole wonderful world of backyard chicken raising. I purchased the chicks "for my children" (yeah really for me, but ssshhhh don't tell them that. :D) Anywho, I am new the concept of pecking order literally meaning they peck the mess out of each other and my most docile chick has been getting the snot kicked out of her. This is how I landed here, trying to find out how to treat her wounds. I am grateful for the information I have gleaned so far and look forward to learning from you all. Thank you and I hope you all have a great day!

Sincerely,
TB

Welcome to BYC!! Make yourself at home and we are here to help. Be sure to check out the Learning Center which has lots of helpful info. Good luck with those peepers!

Welcome to BYC.
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicks! Are the ones you are having problems with the ones you have in the picture? A couple of main reasons chicks peck each other are over crowding and being too hot ... if you can, you probably want to move them to a bigger brooder and check your temperatures, chicks should have cool spots in the brooder they can get to, the whole brooder should not be warm.

Kelsie has given you great information.

I will just add, sometimes if you put a mirror in the brooder it will draw their attention enough to forget about bullying for awhile. Also some toys for them ie., plastic blocks they can stand on, tree branch to practice roosting, a brightly colored ball to push around.

images

Welcome to BYC!

X2..chicks pick on each other because they are over crowded and hot. So expand on the brooder size and get the temp down. Chicks should be started at around 90 or 95 degrees and lowered by 5 degrees each week for 6 weeks. Measure the temp directly on the floor beneath the lamp.

Good luck and I hope the little chick is better today. :)

Thanks everyone for the great information. I will try to find things for them to play with. I put a bigger brooder together, put at small trash can on it's side for them to take shade in, I also lowered the wattage on the bulb and that has helped. They are all doing so much better. Thank you thank you thank you!

Very Sincerely,
TB

Back
Top Bottom