Brand new Hovabator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ls430fl, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ls430fl

ls430fl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    Hello everyone,

Got my new Hovabator with forced air fan in the mail today to hatch my 10 Buff orpington eggs I bought. I have had it set up since 1:00pm today and I think I have the temp dialed in.

My one question which I can't seem to find searching the forum is...Should the temperature be totally constant at 100 degrees? Mine seems to be turning off when it hits 100-101 and then turns back on when it drops to 98-99 degrees. (I can see the red light turning on and off on top) It keeps going through the same cycle. Is this normal?:/

Thanks

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yes, that is absolutely normal and wont effect the egg temperature at all. Air heats and cools much faster than an egg so take the midpoint of 98-101 and your right at 99.5F where the internal egg temp should be. The thermostat is reacting to air temp which is fluctuating, the internal egg temp is staying constant.

3. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    When you put the eggs in don't worry about the temp going down as it will take hours for the eggs to get up to temperature so try to keep your hands off the thermostat.

Also don't forget to let the eggs sit at room temperature fat end up for a good period of time to relocate air cell from shipping and get the temp up from the cold shipping temp. I let mine sit 12 to 24 hours on the table in egg cartons (fat end up) prior to putting in incubator.

4. ls430fl

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank you very much for the fast reply. I was a little worried glad that it is normal for it to click on and off. It seems to be holding constant now within that range. I let my eggs sit since I got them on the 28th. So I am going to put them in later tonight. I think I will need to candle some fo them because a few dont really have pointy ends like a normal egg? I know I feel dumb saying that but I swear a few are like that haha

5. Egghead_Jr

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Plymouth Rock eggs can be like that too. Oval eggs that I take first gut feeling which end is up on a few of them.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  6. ls430fl

Feb 27, 2014
    Excellent. They are all in the turner now. I put them in saturday night. I am eager to candle them tomorrow but I'll wait until day 7 so I can see some real progress. temperature still holding between 99 and 100. I feel like a kid peeking through the window every hour. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by