Brand new in Central CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Merinara, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Merinara

Merinara New Egg

Sep 1, 2010
    I'd only been toying with the idea of backyard hens for a few months prior to the big egg recall. Mostly I am interested in making pastured eggs affordable, but the idea of growing a business somewhere down the line is interesting as well. I never would have found this site if it weren't for the egg recall bringing attention to backyard chickens.

I'm truly in the early stages of learning. I'm not even sure how to find out if it's legal in our city (we aren't on this website's easy search list). I just recently read about chicken tractors, which although free roaming chickens seems the most ideal choice, with our backyard beagles (2 of them) I'm not sure if chickens would be safe or over-stressed even in the tractors. I certainly don't want my two small children traumatized when thier pets eat eachother.

So, the dream is a long way away, but I'm determined to make it reality one day! In the meantime, I'm wondering how to locate other small chicken farms in Tulare County since I always seem to time my farmer's market egg purchases poorly and wind up needing eggs midweek.

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] You will find tons of info here!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Good luck in your search. Having fresh eggs is worth it. [​IMG]

4. cluckiemama

cluckiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    I called my town's board of health - didn't want to get in trouble with the neighbors. I promised the neighbors if we ended up with roosters, we'd give them away. Now, I can give them eggs - so far no complaints! Hope it goes well for you![​IMG]

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] You've come to the right place and you're doing the right thing by learning as much as you can. Let us know if we can help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by