Brand new in NE Georgia! Looking for local chicks...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JulianneInJoy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. JulianneInJoy

JulianneInJoy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Hello!
    I am so excited about adding chickens to my home/garden/teaching/healing space here! Just laying hens for starters. Have had some advice about breeds already - definitely want a mix - and there seems to be a unanimous that orpingtons should be among them! Would like to begin with 6-8 hens NOW (as in hoping to find local/regional chicks in the next two weeks before my niece comes to visit -- she's 12 and will be with me for a couple of weeks - we'll build a coop and run together - she's beyond excited and has her sights on being a vet in the future, so this has extra-special meaning for her! -- she also lives in a very metro-urban area, so time at "Aunt J's place in the woods" is a joyous branching out for her!). Next year I'll add a few more. Not looking to have a large flock - just enough for eggs for my use, a few friends/family, and to help supplement meals when groups are here.

I live in the Cleveland/Sautee GA area and would REALLY enjoy connecting with other BYC'ers here - and if anyone is willing, I'd love to "field trip" to see some of the various ways folks are raising their chickens - I'm a very visual learner, so seeing coops or chickens in person would be a huge help to me in getting started in this venture!! I'm definitely of the "creative" approach to things in life (actually, my friends might suggest that that is an understatement!)

I've gotten some very helpful advice already - and as I LOVE learning, I look forward to benefitting greatly from this forum. Thanks in advance!!

Bursting at the seams with excitement,
    Julianne

2. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Welcome! Your neice will have memories to share in abundance!

3. JulianneInJoy

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks, Karen!! If she could sprout her own wings, I'm quite sure she'd fly on down here now rather than waiting for the scheduled public transport to bring her in two weeks!! ;-)
    [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. JulianneInJoy

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks, Dawg53!
    As hot as it is up here, you must be broilin' down there - wishing us all cool breezes......at least enough to pleasantly ruffle a feather or few!

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join.

8. JulianneInJoy

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks, Deb and Deb! What a friendly welcome! This forum is going to be nearly as much fun as the chickens themselves!

Julianne -
    In NE GA
    Mom to 1 nearly-fully-legal daughter, companion to 4 dogs, servant (they wish!) to a number of cats, straw-bale gardener, mentor-teacher-community catalyst-editor-writer-contra dancer-peacemaker........

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Good luck as you start on your chicken adventure [​IMG]

10. JulianneInJoy

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:Thanks!

Great tag-line/golden girls quote!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by