1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brand New LG egg turner not turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by opihiman911, Nov 17, 2007.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Okay people help me out here, what an I doing wrong?

I had an old LG egg turner that stopped working for me. The motor would still run and the arm would spin, but it wouldn't turn the trays. I went ahead and ordered a new LG turner, got it in last week, put it in my hovabator and plugged in and it worked fine. Filled it with 30 eggs and have been incubatuing/turning just fine for the 5-6 days.

Last night I noticed that the eggs were standing straight up, same thing this morning, in the same position. I've watched it now for the last 2 hours and it hasn't moved. The motor is humming and stops when I unplug it, so I assume it is running. I've unloaded the eggs and removed the turner and have watched it for the last 30 minutes and nothing.

This appears to be the same problem as my other turner. I removed the motor and the arm will spin. Screw it back into the plastic tray and it won't spin. I've checked and it isn't twisted or binding. The trays will swing easily and freely by hand. I've followed instruction on the turner, removed the bottom wire screen, the turner sits solidly on the foam edges, nothing it touching, twisting or binding that I can see. Is it a problem putting a LG turner in a 1602 hovabator?? This has to be something I'm doing as I can't believe I would have the SAME PROBLEM with two different turners.

Any help or suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? The eggs are now on day 7 and I put the wire floor back in and they are laying on it being turned by hand. What will happen if my eggs weren't turned for a day or two? Back to turning by hand for now.

Aloha,
    Cory

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    u sure u got a full voltage going to it ? if so its gota be binding some how. but to me it sounds like maybe not getting enough power . did ya try the motor in the same outlet ? check ur power source. then if ya got 110 i would look for a bind.usually when a motor humms its either in a bind or not getting enough power. i work in an electric motor shop so i know alittle about power. dont know it all but alittle.

3. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I had the exact same thing happen to me I finally figured out it was the weight of water wiggler and therm on the turner so I had the water wiggler on one end and the thermometer on a different tray at other end kinda dispersed the weight a little and it was working great till sister let it spike TOOOOOOOOOO high and killed my babies. I had mine running for about 2 1/2 days when I woke up hearing a hummming noise (really loud for size of motor) deffintely not normal. Is it the new style with the cups rather then clips?

4. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I had trouble this week with my GQF turner. The arm came off the track that makes the eggs turn. Had to take it apart to fix it. I couldn't figure out how it happened, but now I'm wondering if it wasnt the wiggler. hmmmm...

5. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    I don't have a water wiggler on the tray, just a little thermometer. The eggs are distributed evenly 15 on each side split between 2 rows. It is a newer turner with the little plastic holder/posts that snap into holes on the bar.

I would assume the voltage it okay. I have it plugged into a surge protector that I use for my computer. My bator is plugger in the same surge strip and is running fine. I guess I could test it though. I just hate sticking a voltmeter probe into the socket, always paranoid I'm going to fry myself. Me and electrical problems don't get long.

Do these bind up that easily? I'm still working on it and playing around to see what I can do.

Cory

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I have an extra turner (older style, clips not cups) that I just
    took a good look at.

Observations:

1-The turner sits on a lip in the base of a Little Giant bator. This lip
    helps align it. I've never seen a hovabator base so I don't know
    if it also has lips.

2-They sell replacement motors so I assume the motor breaks often.
    This is odd since I have seen that Invensys motor used in many other
    industrial applications.

3-I have 3 turners (2 old style, 1 new). I have had 45 eggs in the old
    and 38 in the new and had no problems so far. With the gear ratio
    of that motor I'd be surprised if weight was a factor BUT since luvz has
    had issues with a water wigler causing a failure this is something to
    look at.

I'm going around in circles here. Try the Hovabator turner or the new
    LG cup style.

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same turner (old style LG) lloaded with eggs, a water wiggler, and thermo/hygro and I haven't had any problems with it at all. It has worked through several batches of eggs. Hmmmm? You might try plugging it into another outlet - that way you don't have to use a tester if you're uncomfortable with it.

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by