Brand New - need a mentor!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Karen Harvey, May 2, 2017.

1. HI Everyone – I am brand new to chickens! We in Albq, NM – high desert, waterless, blowing sand and big thunderstorms!
    We don’t have any chickens, but my little granddaughters want to do 4H. Mommy, but with twin boys, cannot even consider animals right now. So this project we will do together.
    I just stumbled on to BackYardchickens looking for coops
    I have worked with horses, trained and raised show dogs, tropical fish, and did a science project years ago on “Development of the Chicken”. I incubated my chicks in my bedroom, where they hatched. When they were older, rooster started to crow and my dad banished them from the backyard and from under the house! In my free time I do river rafting trips in the SW – NM, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming.
    I am retired from state government, am a licensed therapist. I think this will be a great therapy project.
    I would love to find a mentor here in the Rio Grande Valley. I was raised in Castro Valley, SF Bay Area, a town once famous for raising chickens.
  2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

Please make yourself at home!
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Karen Harvey [​IMG] Welcome!

Wow, you are leading an interesting life. Sorry, that I am not able to assist with the mentoring but you might what to try on your local thread: ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Karen.. We have many past and present dog breeders, trainers, handlers, etc. etc. I used to breed and show Cockers many years ago. If you post on the New Mexico thread, I'm sure you will find someone near you. I know we have good members from Corrales, Albuquerque as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by