Brand New never made a post before but have a brooder question

newchicks29

Hatching
8 Years
May 9, 2011
smile.png
Hi and thanks for a warm welcome I am expecting my first chicks to arrive on the 18th or 19 of this month and I have 90% of start up supplies but have a question i am getting 6 chicks how large of a enclosuer do i need for them was planning on like a cut down washer or dryer box this big enough to start? Thanks in advance all.

I think what I was told to begin with is to plan for half a foot per chick while they are small then it goes up to two feet per chick when fully grown. So for six probably a 2foot by 3 foot would be a little big to start but give them room to grow.

Always better to have more space than they need than not enough. An appliance box should work fine. FWIW, 3-week old chicks can fly so you should plan on leaving 3' sides or adding a lid if you'll be keeping them in there for more than a couple of weeks.

That box is plenty of room. I have the front of my box cut down to allow for ease of feeding, watering, cleaning and taking girls out. I just clamp a piece of poultry netting across the opening.

Back
Top Bottom