1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brand New never made a post before but have a brooder question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchicks29, May 9, 2011.

1. newchicks29

newchicks29 New Egg

May 9, 2011
    [​IMG] Hi and thanks for a warm welcome I am expecting my first chicks to arrive on the 18th or 19 of this month and I have 90% of start up supplies but have a question i am getting 6 chicks how large of a enclosuer do i need for them was planning on like a cut down washer or dryer box this big enough to start? Thanks in advance all.

2. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Hello newchicks29

[​IMG]
    From Maine

[​IMG]

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I think what I was told to begin with is to plan for half a foot per chick while they are small then it goes up to two feet per chick when fully grown. So for six probably a 2foot by 3 foot would be a little big to start but give them room to grow.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

A washer/dryer box will be more than enough for 6 chicks. [​IMG]

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome. That sounds like a good size to me. Have fun with them.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Always better to have more space than they need than not enough. An appliance box should work fine. FWIW, 3-week old chicks can fly so you should plan on leaving 3' sides or adding a lid if you'll be keeping them in there for more than a couple of weeks.

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    That box is plenty of room. I have the front of my box cut down to allow for ease of feeding, watering, cleaning and taking girls out. I just clamp a piece of poultry netting across the opening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by