Brand new SILKIE CHICKS ~ is this normal??

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
These are my first silkie hatchlings. Is it normal for these tiny guys to be absolutely and completely abnoxiously LOUD? Even my kids keep telling them to shut up
lau.gif
We can hear them at the opposite end of the house thru 2 shut doors.

Haha
tongue.png
They MUST be loud if the KIDS are telling them to be quiet
gig.gif

Are they possibly to cold? Chicks who are to cold tend be be very loud.

Usually chicks are cold when loud. I have had several sets of silkie chicks and they were actually calmer than everyone else. Like wise little souls looking up at me.

Maybe check your temps? Make sure they can get away from the heat and all, but follow the rule:

first week of life 90-95 under the light
decrease by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered - even the head- usually around 6 weeks of age.

In winter I then provide 100 watt light bulbs in the coop to huddle under until around 2-3 months of age. Silkie chicks especially are slow to be ready to be off the heat from my experience.

Hope it all works out!

Yup, pretty much.
big_smile.png

If they are still in the 'bator that's normal. Once they are out into the brooder mine usually settle down unless they have a problem, like too cold, running out of food/water or if something scares them. (Here that would be a cat sneaking in and peering through the tank at them. They always let me know if one sneaks in.) Occasionally they scream like they are being murdered and I race down and find... nothing! So don't worry if everything looks fine.
smile.png

Have fun with your new babies.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Nope...still in the incubator. Running around 100 degrees while the otherss hatch and others incubate. The 1st to hatch is all fluffified so I know can move to the bator, but it's been SO NOISY allllll day (talking to it's peeping egg friends). The 2nd has now hatched and is literally doing flips around the incubator while the fluffified one peeps LOUDLY. I think they might be crazy.
gig.gif

Who would hve thought such tiny eggs could make such cute little tiny bird that peep so loudly
lol.png

mine are still loud and there a month old and u can hear them yell through 3 walls lol. they have a heat lamp and can get away from it. they always have food and fresh water. i found out they dont like me leaving the room there in. there quiet when im in there or talk to them. i open there cage door and they come flying out to me and follow me around. there sooo cute!! soo ya its very normal for them to be loud
lol.png

Last edited:
Usually when they are just hatched up to around 24 hours old they are the loudest because they are stressed out. Make sure try have enough heat when in a brooder. If they are all huddled around the heat lamp then that means they are too cold and need more heat. They will get quiter within a couple days after settling.

Back
Top Bottom