Brand new Silkie with Spradle leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jjaazzy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. jjaazzy

jjaazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Ok, I hatched my first batch of 3 silkies yesterday evening. One appears to have spradle leg. I read up on all the info, I got the vet wrap and put it on my little silkie... All the illustrations I see, the next photo shows them standing.. mine is not. it's wobbling all over the place and just seems miserable. They are not even 24 hours old yet so I just would like to know is this normal or did I do it wrong?

2. MamaJess

MamaJess New Egg

Dec 20, 2013
    Urbana Illinois
    Hey there, I recently hatched a dottie with spradle. He was pretty miserable and helpless the first 24 hours with his brace on. I would hold him and a small condiment dish of warm water in front of him every few hours to offer him a drink incase he as thirsty. I didn't bother offering him food because he had the yolk to take care of that. Anyways everytime he fell over he would cry out and chirp like crazy until we helped him back on his feet. After 48 hours in his brace he was doing great and had the bunny hop down lol! I took his bandage off and withing a hour or two he was walking around like his hatchmate. We named him Forrest! :) hope this helps. Good Luck!

3. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Mamajess that does help... I have a close eye on him... trying to get them all to drink and eat now cause altho this is my first hatch of 3 Last year I raised a few day old two day old chicks and it was a lot of fun but I lost some of the silkies they just became very week.. so I am trying my best to keep these guys alive.

4. AZHotChicks

AZHotChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    I have found that giving them some b complex liquid mixed with electolyes helps. Just be sure to drip it in their mouth as you wont want to accidentally get it in their lungs. If you get a chance to try it let me know how it worked for you.

5. jjaazzy

Mar 2, 2013
    Davie, Fl
    Thanks AZ I had not heard of giving them b do you mean b-12 drops? I give them gatoraide. I have a small syringe and I get a bead on the end and they go nuts for it. I also use it to put beads of the gatoraide on the sides of the tub and they chase it down like they are killing bugs. They suck the bead of liquid right off the sides so much fun . I like to give them some entertainment....

6. AZHotChicks

AZHotChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    I use a B complex. You can get it at a lot of feed stores or from your vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by