1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brand new silkie won't eat or drink, or leave the doghouse...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensducks&agoose, Nov 6, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

We got Oscar on Sunday, washed her, dried her, and gave her a heat lamp overnight so she would be completely dry and warm. Then I moved her to the isolation unit, which is a 8x8 run with a doghouse in it. The doghouse is all full of shavings, and is pretty warm inside when a chicken is in it. Anyway, She doesn't want to come out, and I can't tell that she's touched her food or water since tuesday... I doubt she's broody, since she's got nothing to sit on, and she's not all puffed up or acting like a velociraptor... she'll walk out if I shoo her out, but then she just goes back in. I've been forcing her beak into the water dish a few times a day, but she just looks offended. Is this normal, or is something really wrong?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by