1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Brand new to backyard chicken raising

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kim from Upstate New York, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Kim from Upstate New York

Kim from Upstate New York In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2017
    Hi Everyone!

I just purchased 6 chickens and 6 ducks from my local Tractor Supply store 10 weeks ago. I am brand new to raising backyard chickens and ducks and could use all the advice I can get! I am getting so much enjoyment out of my new flock and hope to keep them happy and healthy. I thought that this seemed to be an excellent place to get advice from. I live in upstate New York where the weather can sometimes be challenging but we built a beautiful coop and secure run with a roof so they can be safe and dry. I'm so excited to raise these chicks and ducks!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Welcome, this is the place to be if you enjoy poultry, lots of great information, lots of discussions, and people who just like discussing their animals and lives. Hopefully you can find some great ideas, and answers to any questions you may have. Keeping poultry in my opinion is the best possible hobby ever.

:welcome

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens Kim, hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! A new coop? Show us!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello Kim and welcome to BYC

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

6. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Must hatch more Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome aboard! :frow
    We are glad you joined our flock.
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Get settled in and share some pics of your flock!

7. Kim from Upstate New York

Kim from Upstate New York In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2017
    Here is our coop! Chicken and Duck Run.JPG Chickens.JPG IMG_3665.JPG Inside new coop.JPG

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by