1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brand New to BYC - My first Flock! Please come say hello!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarasmith97, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sarasmith97

sarasmith97 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Clarksville, TN
    [​IMG] I'm very excited I have got my first set of baby chicks. I purchased 4 unsexed bantams from tractor supply co. I have been researching backyard chicken raising for a while, jumped through some homeowner assn hoops, and was able to obtain a small brood for my fam!

We set up a brooder in the small half bath/powder room downstairs for the babies, with pine shavings, and their red heat lamp. Unfortunately, my soft heart got me in trouble and I purchased a weak little baby and she passed away the first evening home. So, we have 3 strong babies, hopefully, 3 hens. If any turn out to be roosters I will have to rehome them to the farm down the road. (Maybe I can get them to trade a hen [​IMG] )

Please impart all your knowledge to me! I've been reading everything I can pick up about hen raising, but I know nothing beats real life experience. My papaw got a good laugh when I told him I was learning how to raise chickens by reading about it. [​IMG]

I will post some pics of the babies when I get home today. They turned one week old yesterday. They are sooooooo adorable.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!!

2. Chester1977

Chester1977 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Welcome, and good luck.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG] Congrats on your new chicks! And [​IMG] !

You have made an excellent choice by researching. That's the best thing anyone can do before you jump into anything! I'm sure everyone hear won't mind answering any questions you have. Just ask away [​IMG]
    I can't wait to see your chicks [​IMG]

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Welcome! Welcome! You are about to start an exciting adventure! Enjoy your little chicks!

5. petunias212

petunias212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    hello there from Missouri....what a great addiction you've picked! [​IMG] I'm new here too...lots of info to read - you'll find yourself hooked to this site!! really nice helpful folks in here..chicken brainiacs that don't mind getting their brain pecked..have fun with your new brood!!

[​IMG]

6. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    [​IMG]
    Good luck with your babies - careful, it can be addictive! [​IMG]

7. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

They are so much fun. I just got ones in Feb and just got the coop finished last night... [​IMG]

8. gardner11

gardner11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    OMG I,too am infatuated with my chickens. I finally got to the point that I had to have a pair of Japanese Bantams. PROBLEM: I also bought 4 baby Americauna from the feed store. One of these hens turned out to be agressive and she runs and picks at the bantams. Would it be wise to give her to another chicken lover down the road to keep my flock peaceful? Thanks for your help.

9. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    Hi, hello & [​IMG] from Minnesota

10. CourtneyBrooke*

CourtneyBrooke* Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    London, KY
    [​IMG] I'm courtney, I'm new too! My pullets are now 4 weeks tomorrow! They'll be going out to the coop soon [​IMG]!
    [​IMG] cant wait to see your babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by