Brand new to chickens from the low country of SC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by arbowers07, Feb 22, 2016.

1. arbowers07

arbowers07 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    Well, not much else for it to be honest lol

I've wanted to have chickens for a long time, but only recently been able to convince my hubby that we do, indeed, need hens. In my area we aren't allowed to have roosters, so I've been looking and scouring for hens that meet a certain criteria. I have a little girl who I plan to home school and I want her to learn how to garden, care for animals and herself, and become self-sufficient should the need arise.

I have been spending a lot of time researching and learning about chickens as a whole and learned a lot of things I did not know! It's always nice to learn new things to be honest. We plan to have a coop and run for them, but I also want to give them a few hours a day of supervised free-range time to strut about the back yard and stretch their legs.

If there's any information on chicken swaps or shows or even someone who sells chickens in the low country (Beaufort/Jasper/Hilton Head area) I would greatly appreciate it!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. If you post on your state thread you may find other bycers near you. Put your state in the search box and see what comes up.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. I'm sure having chickens will be a great source of delight for your daughter as well as a useful educational tool.

All the best
    CT

5. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out the Learning Center. There are a lot of great articles there on all sorts of poultry topics:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

What breed of chickens are you considering?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Everyone is here to help each other out.

7. arbowers07

arbowers07 New Egg

Feb 22, 2016
    I've been all over the site for a while, just never actually set up an account til now lol. I'm considering Orpington chickens. They seem so far to meet the criteria I have regarding yard fowl. From what I've found they're even tempered (regarding hens, as I can't have roosters where I live). They're relatively small and hardy, and can handle the heat and cold pretty well. They're also very social and smart birds. I used to think I wanted a mixed flock but I didn't realize that different breeds of chickens can sometimes pick on one another!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by