Brand new to chickens, not sure what I've got? *updated pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Laney, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Hi everyone,
    I just got my first ever chickens a few weeks ago and I'm still not sure what I've got. I'm also not sure how many roos I've got.

I bought 12 "assorted" standard straight run at TSC, along with 6 ducks. I've had ducks before and feel a bit more comfortable with them.

I created a blog page on BYC with pictures of the chicks so that maybe y'all could help me out????

I've got the feeding, warming and butt wiping down. We've even been outside once to play in a pen. Hubby's building a coop this weekend so they'll probably go outside to live next week or the week after. They were 3 weeks old on Monday.

I think I have some EEs or OEGBs, Brahmas, and one lone guy/gal who is something Mottled either a Java or an Orpington. Because they are all different breeds I have no idea how to match combs and tell who is a Roo vs who is a Hen. Except this one Brahma who is so obviously a Roo it can't be denied. He struts like he belongs in Saturday Night Live.

Laney

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The gray ones that are feathering in white look like white jersey giants. The light one with dark on her back, with the black spot on her head is an ancona. The little chipmunks look like Old English game bantams. The plain whites, I'm not so sure about. Probably white leghorns or white rocks. Are their bodies kind of stocky, or more slightly built?

Cute babies, looks like you're doing a great job!

And... [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Beautiful chicks and they look well taken care of.

I wouldn't be any help until they are at least 6 or 7 weeks old for most of those...

You do look like you've got a couple of EEs.

4. Laney

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Jossanne,

The grey ones and the white ones are both very rounded and about double the size of the chipmunks. Very solid. Not meat size by any stretch but solid.

They both have feathered feet which made me think brahmas.

So I don't think Jersey Giants, although they would be nice.

Laney:)

5. Laney

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I should have mentioned that the Ancona looks very much like that black and yellow chick!! That could be what it is.

Laney

6. Laney

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I've got some updated pictures on my BYC page. There are lots more feathers this week and some more comb on some of them.

I'm really thinking Brahmas on the yellow/white ones with the feathered legs. They have what looks to be a pea comb started, but I'm not sure about that as I'm clueless when it comes to combs.

The black and white one I'm relatively sure now is an Ancona. He (I'm thinking rooster mostly because of solitary nature and thick as heck legs) has very defined lines between the white and black in the new feathers. Much more black than white now.

The little chipmunk chicks. I'm still at a loss although they are probably OEGBs. They have single combs which means they can't be EEs. Slightly greenish/greyish legs, white ear spots.

Any help would be appreciated. I just love these little chicks. As much as they make my nose water and my eyes itch. I'm hoping that will change when the down is gone and the feathers are in.

Laney

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by