Brand new to chickens.....what have I got? :) (pic)

chicken-owner-31

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
NV
Hello!
big_smile.png

I ended up with 2 fluffy yellow chicks after leaving a petting zoo.
roll.png
Several weeks later, I'm shocked that they are still with me! The guy who had them was giving them out left and right, I had been wanting some, and my son loved them so I said I would take two. I was supposed to get two hens. (Is it true that if you hold them by their head and they don't kick they are hens?)

I have honestly grown quite attached to the little things and would love to get some more (maybe different breeds) as soon as I get a good coop made.

Anyway, chicken houses are very common around here, and I think these are the eating kind......whatever that is! I tried looking in the breeds section, but didn't see what I thought these were. Any suggestions as to breed/sex? Thanks so much in advance, I'm glad I found this site!

The two of them together:
blah027.jpg

My daughter.....they don't care for being held too much, but they will hop all over you no problem! Hahaha!
ashleychicken.jpg

Welcome to BYC.
frow.gif

Sexing by holding the bird by the head is a myth.

Try feathersite.com for more pics to help determine the breed of the birds.

To me the look like whte leghorns, others will come by to take a guess.

Welcome to the addiction!

By the size of the birds and the size/color of the combs I'd say you have pullets (females). They do look like White leghorns to me.

And welcome to the forum!!!

I figured the head thing was a myth, but you never know!

Thanks for such quick replies! Off to do some research as to how to take care of them! (They aren't living in my house forever!)
lol.png

I agree with dustin...they are too heavy to be leghorns, which are more long and lanky. They are more likely white rocks, especially with the thickness of those legs.

I would think the only reason your chicken would not kick while holding it by its head is because its neck got broken. Way too dangerous to try that one. I can't believe those goofy things people say about sexing a chicken.

Jody

I use to raise White Rocks along time ago...that's what they look like to me too.....

yep...gotta love those myths....lol

Back
Top Bottom