Brand new to chickens.....what have I got? :) (pic)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken-owner-31, Nov 7, 2007.

1. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Hello! [​IMG]

I ended up with 2 fluffy yellow chicks after leaving a petting zoo. [​IMG] Several weeks later, I'm shocked that they are still with me! The guy who had them was giving them out left and right, I had been wanting some, and my son loved them so I said I would take two. I was supposed to get two hens. (Is it true that if you hold them by their head and they don't kick they are hens?)

I have honestly grown quite attached to the little things and would love to get some more (maybe different breeds) as soon as I get a good coop made.

Anyway, chicken houses are very common around here, and I think these are the eating kind......whatever that is! I tried looking in the breeds section, but didn't see what I thought these were. Any suggestions as to breed/sex? Thanks so much in advance, I'm glad I found this site!

The two of them together:
    [​IMG]

My daughter.....they don't care for being held too much, but they will hop all over you no problem! Hahaha!
    [​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]
    Sexing by holding the bird by the head is a myth.

Try feathersite.com for more pics to help determine the breed of the birds.

To me the look like whte leghorns, others will come by to take a guess.

Welcome to the addiction!

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    By the size of the birds and the size/color of the combs I'd say you have pullets (females). They do look like White leghorns to me.

And welcome to the forum!!!

4. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I figured the head thing was a myth, but you never know!

Thanks for such quick replies! Off to do some research as to how to take care of them! (They aren't living in my house forever!) [​IMG]

5. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I am going to be different and say that I think they are white rock pullets. They just look a little thick for leghorns, even being that young.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with dustin...they are too heavy to be leghorns, which are more long and lanky. They are more likely white rocks, especially with the thickness of those legs.

I would think the only reason your chicken would not kick while holding it by its head is because its neck got broken. Way too dangerous to try that one. I can't believe those goofy things people say about sexing a chicken.

Jody

7. drafthorse39

drafthorse39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Cute [​IMG] Welcome to the board [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use to raise White Rocks along time ago...that's what they look like to me too.....

yep...gotta love those myths....lol

9. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    im gona say cornish. if the grow fast and waddle u will know

10. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I say White Rocks, Welcome to the forum and good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by