Brand new to chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sukochickens, Mar 17, 2015.

1. sukochickens

sukochickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    Hi everyone! We are brand new to backyard chicken raising, as in, we don't even have chickens yet! I joined to make sure we had a good resource lined up if any questions arised. My husband is hoping to start on the coop next week and I'm looking into what kind of chickens I want. I'm having trouble deciding between Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, and Wyandottes. Suggestions are welcomed. [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! If you can get some of each that is what I would do!

3. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks! I thought about doing that as well. We only want 6 hens for the eggs. So I was thinking maybe 2 of each. But I'm going to see what they have at the feed stores around me and go from there.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Good luck and have fun!!

6. MissWiggles

MissWiggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    UP of Michigan
    Hello, I'm new here too! This site has so much information...I spend at least an hour everyday reading/researching. Deciding on what kind of chickens to get is agonizing. I don't have a coop yet, and won't for a while, but seeing all the baby chicks makes waiting pretty tough.

When the time comes to get my chicks, I'm going with a variety. There is a breeder nearby, so I know I'll be getting healthy birds that will thrive in our environment (harsh winters)!

Be sure to post pictures! And have fun!

Julie

7. ccremas

ccremas Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2015
    Colorado
    I am new to having chickens as well. So far we have two Easter eggers that are about 6 weeks old, two Silkies and a black Cochin that are a week old. I think I'm addicted, I want one of every kind. Lol.

8. MissWiggles

MissWiggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    UP of Michigan
    I know. my DH, who is wonderful in every way, thinks we are only going to have 6 or 8. The building we are converting to a coop will hold 30 easily...! ;)

And even though the chicks are cute, it's the beautiful hens and roosters that make me want as many as I can have!

Julie

1 person likes this.
  9. sukochickens

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    I'm so excited! Im sure I'll be addicted very fast! It's just so hard to choose. I want all of them lol! We have an Orpington breeder near us so I may check her out. But I don't want all orpingtons and she's the only breeder near us. I'm worried that by the time my husband finishes the coop no one will have chicks. [​IMG]

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! The chicks will be six weeks old or so before they can go in the coop (without heat) so you might as well get the chicks now and keep them in the brooder! I really like Wyandottes great colors, good winter layers, the Rocks of various colors are quite nice also, Orpingtons are probably the friendliest but they are the most broody and if you want mostly eggs it can be a nuisance... Sussex are another nice breed, and don't forget Easter Eggers for the colored eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by