Brand new to hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RCRIR, Jan 12, 2012.

1. RCRIR

RCRIR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Hi :)

I'd like to try my hand at hatching. I hear talk about an incubator and a hatcher. I hear about 'lockdown' and such. I've tried searching Google but I cant seem to find a simple straight forward description that covers the steps etc.

Is there such a thread here? A simple discussion of how to set up a hatcher/incubator and tips and hints on how to be successful.

Thanks in advance.

2. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    You will absolutely find a wealth of info here at the site and from many, many experienced people that are more than happy to answer your questions. I have a feeling you'll be hearing from them very soon. I'm a newbie myself, but have had 2 successful hatches with the help here at BYC. Have fun!

[​IMG]

3. Rnosal

Rnosal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2011
  4. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    lol

5. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Here is a hatch calendar that I use for all my hatches. Doesn't tell you everything but the link they posted above should

[​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Another good source is to read the instructions that come with your incubator. The people that sell them want you to succeed so you'll go back to them for more equipment.

I find this to also be a good source of information.

Texas A&M Incubation site
    http://gallus.tamu.edu/library/extpublications/b6092.pdf

Just come back on here and start a specific thread with a specific question. You'll probably get help.

Good luck!!! And welcome to the forum!!!

By the way, that hatching calendar is wrong. With chickens, the day of the week you set them is the day of the week they should hatch. They need to develop for 21 days. An egg does not have 24 hours worth of development 2 seconds after it is put in the incubator. It takes 24 hours for it to have a day's worth of development.

7. silkymom1986

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS

Thats why it says if you set them at night, the next day is day 1, if in a.m. that day is day 1.

8. brambleberries

brambleberries Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thank you so much for this, silkymom! I'm really looking forward to using it!

9. silkymom1986

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    No problem!! Good luck when you start incubating, and just let us know when you have questions, and I'lltry to help, I still don't know all the answers, lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by