1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brand new to keeping geese :D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rachieboo, Jan 13, 2012.

1. rachieboo

rachieboo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    In the next few days/weeks I will be getting a couple of pilgrim geese with a view to keeping them as friendly,loving pets. Over the last few days I've read many articles from experienced geese owners and am really looking forward to it! I will be getting them from a week or two old so will be starting right from the beginning and would appreciate any extra advice anyone feels they can give me.
    Also I have looked into harnesses for geese (which I understand many people may not agree with)and would really like to get one but they are only made in the USA and unfortunately I live in the UK and they would be quite expensive for me to buy when I don't really know if my babies are going to appreciate being walked! I was just wondering if anyone knows whether I could use say a rabbit or guinea pig harness in the beginning? And with regards to the diapers (as I would love my geese to be able to join me and my boyfriend indoors),which also are only available in the usa is there any substitute etc please.
    I appreciate all suggestions and comments that will help me smooth out any wrinkles and make me the perfect owner.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  3. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    [​IMG] from North MS!!! I have never had geese, just chickens so I don't have any advise to add but I'm glad you joined the forum!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. rachieboo

rachieboo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    Thank you so much for the replies! Very excited to actually give making the harnesses a go!

5. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    [​IMG] from Texas

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I have a Pilgrim goose, along with a couple of other breeds. They're such a sweet and friendly breed. Our girl was a house goose for the first few months of her life and one of the best tips I learned was from this website: http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id95.html We made something similar to hold her food and water and it really cut down on the messes she made.
    Good luck and I know you'll loving being a goose owner [​IMG]

8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry, I've never had any experience with geese.

9. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Welcome aboard.

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by