Brand New to raising chickens.......

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sacmonarchs62, Jan 10, 2014.

1. sacmonarchs62

sacmonarchs62 New Egg

Jan 7, 2014
    Good Afternoon, My name is Bernadette (Bernie) and I am a complete novice in keeping chickens. I have a good friend who has inspired me about giving it a try. At this point I have no chickens as I want the area completely ready and a nice coop in place. Although I am tempted to rush into it, I know I want everything ready and safe for the new additions to the family. Anyway I am reading and researching and all your advice will be greatly appreciated and humbly accepted. I live in Northern California about 45 mins north of Sacramento. Any suggestions from anyone about which breeds might be good to start with would be helpful. Anyway, thank you for the site it is fabulous and very very helpful for chicken raising virgins.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Looks like both Chicken Canoe and Liz has set you straight! Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

5. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Welcome!

Yes, http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html, is an awesome site. It was the one I used when I was looking to get started.

I applaud you on doing your research first. Recommendations will come once you know what it is you are looking for. A couple of questions get you started...

1. What are your plans for the chickens (showing, pets, food...)
    2. How much room do you have for them (whether to get bantams or LF-large fowl)
    3. What type of coop do you have (some chickens do not do well in foul weather and some are more hardy)
    4. What type of area do you live in? (lots of neighbors or lots of acres)
    5. How many eggs are you wanting per year (just a few to incubate or a bunch to sell to neighbors)

6. Ivybirdy

Ivybirdy Out Of The Brooder

Welcome. I hope you have a good time raising chickens! They are lovely pets to have!

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Pick what breed suits you best and watch out for chicken math.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck in your selections.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by