Brand New To Tending Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cbhunter777, Aug 21, 2018.

1. cbhunter777

cbhunter777 In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2018
    I've always lived in rural areas but my animals have been limited to horses, dogs and cats. I board horses for people, one of which works for a Farmers Co-op. When chicks came to the store in the spring he rescued 3 that were damaged in shipping. Rather he handed them off to another of my boarders who rescues anything in need. She took them to her apartment and managed to save one of them. Then she bought her a friend because no chicken should have to live alone, right? That's how I came to have my first 2 chickens when they started flying around her apartment. So they are doing very well in our first small coop. While I was away for the weekend at a horse show, another boarder brought me 4 Andalusions and 4 Silkies. At least that's what she was told. And who knows how many pullets and how many cocks I have. I made the off hand remark that a friend of mine had all her Silkies murdered by coons in one night! If I ran across some more locally I might get her some. That's when my friends brought in 8 Silkies. Now I'm not so sure my friends (who have no chicken experience either) know what breeds or sexes I do have on the farm. All I know if I have to get a larger coop ready FAST. So, obviously, I'm not getting into chicken tending in the best way but I do expect to make it work. I love fresh eggs and so do my 3 large dogs. I love all of God's creatures and am highly entertained by my new pets. I still need to share some with my friend who has no Silkies right now. My 9 year old granddaughter loves them all. I told her I'm training them to eat out of my hand and come to my voice and she can help me train. She's all over that! So we're having fun and learning something new. This site is a wonderful resource. Once I figure out what exactly I've been gifted with (breed and sex wise) I'll make a better plan.

2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome to BYC!

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community - thanks for joining us. It seems that you were destined to keep chickens :). You can post pics of your birds here for breed / gender - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/what-breed-or-gender-is-this.15/

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/website-announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

4. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Nice intro! Glad to have you here with us!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

5. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
    what a fun way to get into poultry... Nice intro

6. Flockandfowl46

Flockandfowl46 Crowing

Mar 28, 2018
    Southwest Virginia USA
    Welcome to BYC and chicken math!Good to have you join :celebrate

7. N F C

N F C snowing & blowing

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    smiley welcome.gif

Pork Pie Ken has given you the perfect forum to find out the gender/breeds you have. Enjoy the birds and all BYC has to offer!

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP

9. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Crossing the Road

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot

10. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Howdy! :frow We are thrilled that you decided to join our FUNOMENAL community! :celebrate
    Best wishes!

rjohns39, N F C and Joeschooks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: