Brand new to the goat world....questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StacyV, Jan 12, 2009.

1. StacyV

StacyV New Egg

Nov 13, 2008
    I am brand new to the world of country living and small farms. I am just starting out and I have so many questions. So thankful I found this site! I currently have a 1 month old nigerian dwarf. I got him when he was 1 week old. He has been on the bottle since then. He was started on store bought goat milk but has since switched to whole cows milk. He is currently eating around 10 ounces, three times a day. From what I am reading this looks about right. He also has water and some hay in his pen. He does nibble at the hay.

My question is....we just bought a home in the country. We have not yet moved. So the baby has been living in an octagon pen in my kitchen and now basement for the past 4 weeks. He has grown a tremendous amount since I got him. I do let him out in the house to play and interact with us and my little dog. When is it time for him to go to the barn? It seems like we are really starting to see that he is a farm animal not a house animal! If you know what I mean. It will be at least a month before we move. Is it ok to keep him inside? Should I have another goat before I turn him to the barn? Currently we just have him. If need be I could put him in the barn at the new house and just drive there daily if I needed to. What do you all suggest???

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Should I have another goat before I turn him to the barn?

Definitely! Goats are herd animals and should never be kept alone

And if youre not going to be breeding them, you should probably neuter him as well​

3. Chicken James

Chicken James New Egg

Jan 9, 2009
    Hi! You should be able to put him out in the barn as soon as he's weened. Make sure that he has hay or straw for bedding and a draft free place in the barn. I would highly reccomend getting another goat as they are flock animals and do much better with a friend. You may also want to have him fixed as they make much better pets--a Billy goat will become pretty agressive when they mature. Best of luck!

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You've already gotten perfect advice so I just wanted to Welcome you to BYC! [​IMG]

1) Get him a buddy as soon as you can.
    2) Have him banded as soon as he's old enough (or whatever method you chose to neuter him).

By the way, many people put diapers on their goats when they have them in the house. That may help with some of that 'barn' animal stuff. [​IMG]

5. StacyV

StacyV New Egg

Nov 13, 2008
    What is the appropriate age to band them? He was born on Dec 7th. I don't really have an interest in breeding goats, just keeping them as pets. Thanks for all the advice!

6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:You can band him as soon as both of his testicles have dropped. They should have by now.

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    BTW- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by