Brand new to this..2 dead hens..nobody's laying..what's up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimntep, Dec 30, 2010.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    We purchased six hens, all the same age..they were about 4 mo. old the end of October. They have a great coop, good feed, bedding, etc. They aren't laying yet and they were before they came to us. It has been an unusually cold winter (central Florida) but I expected eggs by now. Also, the reds have now killed two of the whites. Thoughts?

2. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    1. They're a bit young and it's a bit cold. But now that you posted this, you should get an egg. (joke)

2. Are you entirely sure they're all hens? Were they from the same flock originally?

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    do they have a run??
    do they get to go out and free range? maybe boredom - when i know that mine are going to be in the coop/run ( i live in a warm climate and have a combined open air coop and run) for the afternoon when i wont be home to let them out i string up a whole head of cabbage to keep them occupied..usually lasts only 1 whole day [​IMG] but they love it!!

about the eggs?? maybe the cold, the move, not enough light, maybe they are just a bit young still???

i put up 2 strands (of 10each) Xmas lights in the coop and only put them on in the late afternoon till about 6:45 and we started to get a lot more eggs! i dont know if it was the lights or the girls were finally all ready and comfortable -(2 out of 9 were laying and 3 out of them were new to the flock.) [​IMG] as soon as i stopped looking all the time for eggs they finally started coming in abundance... 49 last week [​IMG]

i hope you can figure out what is going on and im sure there will be someone more experienced than me that will post with some good advice!! [​IMG] goodluck

4. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Thanks for the tips! I believe they are all from the same flock, but I can't be sure. Where we purchased them, everyone looked the same; size, color, etc., but there was a bit of a language barrier, so who's to say for sure. The Big Reds are being very aggressive and have killed two of my Whites. I'm hoping the last of the Whites will be ok. I thought they would have settled down after a couple of months. My husband grew up with chickens, but I have no experience and he's only going on what he remembers. We are only raising for eggs, so any other advice would be greatly appreciated! We are now turning them out for a few hours each day, so maybe that will help. I'll also try the cabbage trick for exercise and entertainment!

5. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Unless you had them in really tight confinement, I would bet they are not from the same flock. This may not always be true, but in my experience chx raised together from hatch get along very well, as long they have enough space. And by that I don't mean you have to free range them (altho that would be great if you can), but they need space to move around. If they have nothing at all to do, they may resort to pecking each other, and once they draw blood, it's all over.

Suddenly confining together chx from different flocks can be deadly.

If you are totally new to chx, could someone have stuck with old hens past their days of good production? Would you know the difference? This would explain the lack of eggs. You call them reds and whites - sound like production breeds, so I would expect at least some of them to be laying by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by