Brand new to this chicken business

JustCallMeMoe

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2016
Nebraska
Hey all! My name is Monique but everyone calls me Moe. I'm really excited (and nervous) to start raising chickens! I haven't bought any yet but the local supply store gets some in February/March. If you have any suggestions on winter hardy, friendly breeds, that would be appreciated! I have 3 kids 5 and under so it would be nice if the hens were friendly. I'm in the process of building my own coop that we are going to put under the deck out back. We are going to try to be as "free range" as possible, but I don't feel comfortable letting them roam the yard without supervision.
Any tips of the trade would be appreciated!

Nice to meet you Moe, glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. Are you interested primarily in laying breeds or meat birds, or both? If you join your state thread you can communicate with others who know what succeeds in your climate, etc.

Hi Moe,
welcome-byc.gif

There's an excellent article in the Learning Center on how to select the breeds of chickens that best suit your needs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds

Hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom