1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brand new to this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zgun, Sep 10, 2015.

1. zgun

zgun New Egg

Sep 10, 2015
    Hello friends, I am brand new to country living and chickens. I live about an hour southeast of Athens, GA and am surrounded by rural farms, etc. I have access to a Tractor Supply. Is this the best place for all my needs (involving country living) and for buying chickens? I will probably start out with 6 chickens and 1 rooster. Any suggestions as to what type? One article mentioned Black Australorp as they are good around children, and grandchildren.

2. baconchicken100

baconchicken100 New Egg

Sep 10, 2015
    Hi

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How exciting for you to be a starting out in your chicken adventures :celebrate The learning centre is a great place to start for lots of very helpful articles on getting your flock established. Here is the link if you have not already checked it out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    You also might like to have a look through the breed section for lots of reviews ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, the forum sections are very diverse with a section for all topics.

Enjoy BYC :frow

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Tractor Supply is as good as any for chicken related items. We have one we frequent for some things (crushed oyster shell, waterers, black oil sunflower seed), but for other things such as feed, our local feed store has a slightly better price. You might have to do some shopping around but TSC has most everything (at least around here).

If you check with other members in GA, you might find other options for supplies, etc.:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/121387/yo-georgians

If you have your heart set on a rooster, I'd suggest you add a few more girls to the flock you're considering. The recommended ratio is 1 roo to 10 hens. A roo can put a lot of wear and tear on a few hens and cause injuries & stress.

I wish you well and if you have questions, always feel free to ask. There are a lot of helpful members here.

Thanks for joining us!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. The Learning Center is a great first step in chicken education. It will answer many of your questions. Buff Orpingtons, Black Australrops, Cochins, etc. are generally docile breeds . Hens will lay just as many eggs without a rooster and will be a lot happier without one.

Unless you need "fertile" eggs for hatching or sale, there really isn't a reason to have a rooster. Some turn very aggressive over their hens - and can and will attack humans. Children being lower to the ground are most likely to be victims of attack and can be seriously injured.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I raised Black Australorps for years and they are a great breed around children. Our children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) made lap pets of our Australorps. In addition to being a calm and gentle breed, they are extremely hardy and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

9. sunnysideup123

sunnysideup123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2015
    Athens, GA
    That would depend on what type of chickens you want. Ornamental, meat or eggs.. I would go with a Red Sex Link for brown eggs and a leghorn for white eggs. I can't give a recommendation for an ornamental or meat birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by