Brand new, with a couple of questions, with new coop pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lilacfeather, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    95% finished with coop tonight, going to pick up some 9 week olds tomorrow. Sooooo excited, btw!

The only thing I haven't decided on is feeder/waterer.

What do you prefer?
    Inside the coop, or underneath?
    Metal or plastic?
    How big for 6 standard hens?
    Opinions on PVC feeders?

I love to see pics, so if you could post some of yours, or help me with links to previous posts/threads with lots of pics of feeders.

THanks!

And here's what my most awesome hubby created with lots of ideas we got from BYC. It's a 6x4 coop, with 12' attached run.

And yes, I like purple.

Sorry it's dark, I'll try to get finished pics with occupants tomorrow!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Your Hubby and you did a great job. The girls will have a great place to live. [​IMG]

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Very nice!! The only thing I see is that your wiring has vary large holes easily accessed by preditors, I would recomend hardware cloth.
    I use medium plastic water feeder and metal feeder. Good luck new babies. AND [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  4. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    [​IMG] Love it! Love it! Love it! Fantastic job! I bet your chickies will love it too! I use the plastic feeders and waterers. They were cheaper...that's why I bought them. That being said, I put a plastic storage container bottom ...about 5" deep...in the pen and filled it with water to keep the chickens cool during the heat spell. (we had 22 days in a row of 100+ temps). They would walk around in it to cool off but they also drank out of it. They now prefer to drink out of that. So, I guess as long as they have access to water the chickens really don't care where they get it from. [​IMG]

5. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    We only have 4 chickens. We have a small plastic waterer in the coop and a food tray mounted on the wall to save space. Outside in the run we have a hanging metal waterer and a metal hanging food tray. We also have a little plastic egg basket that someone gave us as a joke, but we also put water in it. They drink out of all three and with the heat, the metal stays cooler.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Your set-up looks great! If you're an early riser, then a feeder and waterer inside the coop probably isn't needed, as the girls won't be eating/drinking in the dark. However, if it'll be a while before you get up to let them into the run, then it's nice to have something available inside, since they'll be up milling around before you. I do keep food and water inside (as well as outside) in the winter, because my girls spend a LOT of time inside then (my heated waterer is kept inside). In the summer I only keep food/water outside.
    I have one plastic and one metal cannister type waterer, plus two of the big rubberized bowls (but some are outside the run, as I free range when home). I use two feeders, one plastic cannister style plus my homemade bucket feeder. It's always nice to have two feeders even with a small flock, so that birds low on the pecking order have free access to food.

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Well done! [​IMG] You should use nipple waterers connected to some sort of reservoir. You can see mine down towards the middle of my BYC page.

8. camotruck

camotruck Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Nice job on the coop, it looks good!!!

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, very nice job! I was a little bit worried until I saw the bottom part of the run had hardware cloth, so it wasn't all 2x4" wire openings down to the ground. GOOD JOB!

I like plastic waterers but I know they eventually crack through sun damage, so the thrifty folks use galvanized stuff instead. Usually. I also have plastic feeders for the adult birds, but still use the little metal feeders for chicks. (No plastic ones short enough at the feed store when I started buying chicks.)

Your chickens will be VERY happy in their new home!

10. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    very nice looking coop and run chicks will like it alot. I use the "L" shaped PVC feeder I will try to post pics in the morning its very simple to make plus cuts down on wasted feed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by