Brand new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thechickenshepheard, Aug 18, 2011.

1. thechickenshepheard

thechickenshepheard Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Swansea SC
    My mom grew up with chickens, and she has randomly gotten the urge to buy some, which has spurred me into the love of poultry and I now tend to over 60 chickens (started with leghorns, then some gold sex links, and now I have Barred Rocks, Silkies, (they already have bred and she hatched her own eggs and got 6 outta 7!) Road Island Reds, Easter Eggers, Marons, Sussex, and some Icelandic's in the incubator) about 9 ducks, (plus the 15 eggs that Sarah, our mama Muscovy is sitting in an old dog house she deemed to be perfect) 5 Guinea fowl, maybe 12 turkeys, and some random roosters that people keep dropping off since our's free range during the day and they just don't want the mess of butchering theirs. Most of our hens are for eggs, but we will eat some if we don't get too attached to them! My lil girl Justina is off the table right now! but we have one mean rooster who is in jail atm and will be in our bellies soon! I have been lurking around here since May when I got my chickens, and have learned SO much! I did not know that leghorns did not sit their own eggs until this site! Now we know exactly what we want and why we want it and the only thing we are looking at getting are some possible Dorkings later. Taking care of the birds are just very therapeutic for me and it really calms me down, plus I get eggs from them! I really want to get into this online community and learning from all the members! I am from the dead center of South Carolina! nice to meet you all! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    HOLY MOLY YOU'VE GOT ALOT OF CHICKENS, AND TURKEYS TOO?! AND DUCKS?!

You're officially addicted!

Welcome from Ohio and glad you joined!

Sharon

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, chickenshepard! Great to have you on board! [​IMG] Sounds like a neat collection of birds there. [​IMG] And you're right - this is a great place to learn! [​IMG]

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    WELCOME!

[​IMG]

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Sounds like you have a very nice flock [​IMG]

9. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    [​IMG] to BYC [​IMG]

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by