Brand New..

Dolly1218

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Colorado
Hello everyone! Im brand new to chickens and turkeys. I was wondering how much space per turkey? For example: they say 4ft/chicken in the coop and 10ft/chicken in the run. And also which breed of turkey is friendliest? I am keeping them as pets, not food, and have young kids who will want to pet them. I read Chocolate Turkeys are the friendliest and best for begginers. And also could I keep chickens and turkeys in the same coop and run? I would love your expert opinios! Thank you in advance!!

I am not what you wood call a expert
lau.gif
but I can tell you what you need to know!!! ok, # 1. turkey hens need 4 sq feet and the turkey toms need 5 sq feet. I just do 5 sq feet for both. "And also which breed of turkey is friendliest? I read Chocolate Turkeys are the friendliest and best for begginers." # 2. I do not know if this is true but I do know that the Bourbon red turkeys are the most friendliest ones I have
wee.gif
the hens love to be peted
love.gif
I have one hen named jenny that demanes, not ask, demanes THAT I PICK HER UP AND PET HER
lau.gif
lau.gif
They love to folloy me everywhere!!!!
bow.gif
# 3. you can keep chickens and turkeys togather, I do. Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys is a great plaes to get great blood lines and you will help keep the rare turkeys going
thumbsup.gif

You are looking for any of the heritage birds. I raise several different colors of turkeys and don't see that any of them are more friendly than any other. All of mine are friendly. They are all one breed just different colors and sizes. There can be an aggressive turkey in any color. Just pick the color you like. Do not get a broad breasted turkey as they are ment to be food not pets!

welcome-byc.gif

I have my turkeys in a big barn with the ducks and chickens, but this is my first year with the turkeys and as such I am on a learning curve.

I have bourbon red and am liking the breed so far!

WARNING!!!!
A lot of people said they have their Turkeys and Chickens together, it's okay if they already have lived together for a while, BUT, chickens sometimes carry Blackheads Disease. This does not affect the chicken itself but it will kill Turkeys! So be careful when you mix the two species.

Quote:
I have BBB and As long as you dont mind watching their weight and managing their nutrition they are fine. Mine have been some of the best pets i have ever had. So if you make an effort in their care, I dont think thats entirely true.

Somewhere in my turkey-homework, I read that I should contact my local ag. extension to find out if blackhead is in my area. The local ag agent didn't really know, so they referred me up to the my state's dept. of food & agriculture. The agent and I discussed it, and decided the risk was low enough in my area to try some turkeys. I will probably not house them together, although they will share the same free-range space.

Good luck w/ your turkeys, everyone!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom