Newmummy123

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2017
Hi everyone, we bit the bullet yesterday and purchased one black silkie and one white silkie both females 8 weeks- and a partridge silkie rooster 12 weeks old. We have the coop inside a secure outhouse and I've laid sawdust all over the floor and in the coop with hay. They also have a roost in their coop.

Last night I put then in the coop locked up about 8pm and am planning to open them up about 7am. Their food - unmediated growers pellet is in one of them feeders they can't get their feet into lol as is their water. They have access to grass etc once outhouse is opened up (and coop obviously )

My question is..
1 they've had no vaccinations? What do they need.
2 how often do I change the sawdust in coop- I like things clean! However am aware sometimes clean isn't always great for pets..
3 is the growers pellet all they need??
4 I've put straw in the coop in the nesting boxes to keep them warm... is this ok?
5 I'm worried about mites lice and disease.. a natural way would be great- herbs? Foods?

I have tried to look for the answers I promise lol

Many thanks everyone
IMG-20170625-WA0045.jpeg
IMG-20170625-WA0041.jpeg
IMG-20170625-WA0030.jpeg
IMG-20170625-WA0045.jpeg
IMG-20170625-WA0041.jpeg
IMG-20170625-WA0030.jpeg

Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. Are these hatchery silkies? The first one has wrong color comb and I suspect not black skin, with red over wings, it is likely a male.

The white silkie, appears to have pink skin and poor crest. The black also is lacking a good crest - . Do they have black feet &5 toes?

Hi and welcome to BYC

I'd suggest cleaning the coop as often as you see fit.
I'd skip vaccinations, personally
Growers food is fine
They will snuggle together for warmth, so don't overthink the straw issue
Lice / mites and worms are part and parcel of keeping chickens. I don't do herbal / natural treatments so I have no advice to give, sorry

What do you use for lice mites and worms?

Yes I don't think they are pure silkie bless them, I don't mind they're not for showing etc they're our pets the 'girls' both have black feet and 5 toes though lol

Do they need any of food other than their pellet and the forage?

Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. Are these hatchery silkies? The first one has wrong color comb and I suspect not black skin, with red over wings, it is likely a male.

The white silkie, appears to have pink skin and poor crest. The black also is lacking a good crest - . Do they have black feet &5 toes?
The white one has the biggest pom on her head now lol
Black one still lacking .. only the multicoloured one is crowing so far.. fingers crossed only he crows haha

Back
Top Bottom