Brand of feed and types questions

Slaphappy

Chirping
Dec 30, 2018
Chicago Illinois
I have two options location to get feed. Blaines farm and fleet and a small local feed store. The feed store leads with Purina. Blaines leads with agrimaster and nutrina.

Any advice and expierence on these brands?

Crumbles vs pellets

Last edited:
I have two options location to get feed. Blaines farm and fleet and a small local feed store. The feed store leads with Purina. Blaines leads with agrimaster and nutrina.

Any advice and expierence on these brands?

Crumbles vs pellets
I prefer giving my girls crumble, pellets are a bit too big and my ladies are PICKY. If it ain't already bite sized they won't touch it.
Purina is a good brand, the chickens like it, there is marigold extract that makes the yolks darker. Though the feed doesn't make their eggs taste much different compared to an organic egg from the store. I haven't tried agrimaster, but there really isn't much a difference between Nutrina and Purina in my experience, roughly same price, chickens eat it with no fuss, not a huge taste difference either. I do think Purina made the yolks a bit darker than Nutrina.

Purina flock raiser is what i feed with oyster shell on the side. I tried purina layer pellets but they wont touch it but did not try very long due to roosters in flock

I buy and use both brands. I get them at TSC and purchase whichever is fresher or available when I'm there.
Crumbles vs pellets
I feed crumbles to my two Flocks 34 months old Golden Comets and 6 months old Barred Rocks.
I don't feed a 16% layers feed. I feed either a 18% Protein Non-Medicated Starter-Grower or a 20% Flock Raiser/All-Flock crumble.
I would feed All-Flock Pellets if it was always available and fresh.
I have little waist as I hang the feeders so the trough is level with chickens back. GC

Back
Top Bottom