Brand of grit and oyster shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by atxash, Feb 17, 2015.

1. atxash

atxash Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Does anyone know if one brand is better than another for oyster shells and grit or would the commercial bulk stuff from the feed store work just as well?

2. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

I am not sure about oyster shells, but having used Mana Pro and the TSC Dumor oyster shells, they both appeared to be the same. And no complaint from the chickens. [​IMG]

As for grit, I think the size of the grit is important. That is smaller for chicks, medium for younger birds, and larger size for full grown birds. I beieive 3RiversChick did a great write up on grit that goes into great detail. But onething to remember, the chickens will find there own grit if you free range them and they are none too picky about the brand! [​IMG]

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I was using Purina oyster shell and recently switched to MannaPro. I did notice a difference between the two. The Purina had far less shell dust and the bits seemed to be more uniformly sized than the MannaPro. That being said, the price of the MannaPro was FAR cheaper than the Purina. Half the bag could be shell dust and I'd still be coming out ahead of the game.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by