Brand spankin new here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by casadezorola, Feb 3, 2015.

1. casadezorola

casadezorola Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    Hello all! I am a farmer at heart and finally convinced my husband to let me get chickens!

We purchased 8 chicks (5 different breeds, egg layers not meat chicks) today and will be receving them in 2 weeks!

What are you top 3 most important tips for a newbie chicken raiser? I've been doing a TON of research, but I want the "no one tells you that you should -???- with your new chicks"

Thanks a million, great resource!

Teddi

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! My top tips for chicks are, keep them warm dry draft free but plenty of ventilation. Fresh food and water available at all times. An area for them to get away from the heat source if they are too warm. So heat source at one end of the brooder so if too warm they can move up and then back under when they want warming. Most important enjoy them. Here is a nice article on raising chiks for the first 60 days https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

One more thing is they grow fast!! Wishing you the very best of luck with your impending chicks :fl
    Enjoy BYC :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by