Brand Spankin' New

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hirsky, Apr 23, 2019.

1. hirsky

hirsky Hatching

Apr 23, 2019
    Hi everyone!

As the title of the thread suggests, I am brand spankin' new to this community and to raising chickens. I've spent a lot of time reading the forums and articles in anticipation of this day, and am excited to start! Decided to copy and paste the forum template to get started.

Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Brand spankin' new. Just bought a coop (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-defender-chicken-coop) that seemed to be the best bang for my buck. Gives me the number of chickens I want (10-12) and the type/size of run I want. A little expensive, but seemed well-rated overall. I am also not handy [AT ALL] so building a coop on my own based on a design was not feasible.

How many chickens do you have right now? What breeds?
    This is step 2 for me. I want to get 10-12 chickens, but am unsure of the breed to get. Any suggestions are very much appreciated for a first time chick-raiser.

What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
    Simply put, the eggs. I eat 12-16 eggs/week and love high-quality bright-orange-yolked eggs. I have a feeling I'll fall in love with my chickens, too, but I'm too pragmatic to list that as my favorite aspect.

What are some of your other hobbies?
    I own and operate a small garden. I also read and write a bunch - fantasy fiction mostly.

Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    Married with a little girl on the way. Part of my motivation for raising chickens is so I can get used to them and get in a routine before I get have to get used to a little human.

fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 9 others like this.
  2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 5 others like this.
  3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 3 others like this.
  4. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join your wonderful community! :welcome

fldiver97, rjohns39, Melky and 3 others like this.
  5. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    Welcome! I would return the coop, the seller has not given the coop dimensions, but I would put no more than 6 chickens in the coop, if your following the 4 sqft rule ( which is recommended) then it could maybe hold 6.

fldiver97, rjohns39, Melky and 4 others like this.
  6. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    :welcome Might I suggest you start w/ 6 for your first year, coop size and being a newbie? Tons of breeds to start off with for egg layers . One of each ! See what suits you. :frow

fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 2 others like this.
  7. Sassysouth

Sassysouth Free Ranging

May 12, 2016
    Decatur, AL
    Welcome!!!

8. Granny Hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    LOL You beat me to it !!

fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 2 others like this.
  9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I hope you haven't assembled the coop. I've yet to read of a single person who is happy with a pre-fab coop.
    I see you feel you have no building skills. However, you would be better served by converting a shed into a coop and putting up a large electrified poultry net for a run. It would cost about the same as what you paid for the pre-fab but would be much better.

fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 5 others like this.
  10. Granny Hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I checked it out. Its better then the others I have seen.

fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 3 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: