1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brand spanking new at this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newbiewchickens, Aug 30, 2016.

1. newbiewchickens

newbiewchickens Just Hatched

Aug 30, 2016
    For the first time we bought 6 young six week old chickens back in June so we could have farm fresh eggs. They free range and we're thrilled that our 2 cats and 1 large dog allow them to roam around without being chased or bothered. However, I'm afraid we actually have 5 roosters and 1 hen!! When I figure out how to post pics, I will ask y'all!

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Congratulations on your new flock, and [​IMG]! I think you need to have at least 10 posts to upload pictures.

Hope you don't have 5 cockerels! What kind are they?

3. newbiewchickens

Aug 30, 2016
    3 RIRs and 3 Plymouth rocks I think. We got them from a local chicken farmer. [​IMG]

4. newbiewchickens

Aug 30, 2016
    [​IMG]. Ha ha - we had high hopes for "fresh eggs" anyway.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined our poultry patch. It's great having you aboard!

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

5 roosters... that would be pretty bad luck! For help with determining gender... start a new topic in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" forum, and add a clear photo of each bird to your post. As far as your photo up above... the two in the front are definitely cockerels, I can't tell about the third in the back.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have a beautiful coop - Welcome to Backyard chickens

8. newbiewchickens

Aug 30, 2016
    Thank you - I'll do that with some new pics. The local chicken farmer indicated he would trade in the roosters for hens if he didn't sex them right for us, but I don't know how that will work out now that they're 4 months old. I did read a post or two somewhere about introducing new chickens into the flock --- keeping them separated for at least a week, then let the new ones out first to free range, then allow the established ones out to join them. I may keep one rooster to look over our small flock. We'll see.
    Pretty darned disappointed about this -- we really wanted some farm fresh eggs.

9. newbiewchickens

Aug 30, 2016
    Thank you -- I copied from a pic I saw online of someone else's coop! And I'm glad to be here to learn about this new experience. :)

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by