1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brand-spanking-new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nicoleholt, Jan 31, 2017.

1. nicoleholt

nicoleholt New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Hello there.

I live in Garland, TX and am looking into having a few hens.
    For now I'm looking around and gathering as much info about backyard chickens as possible.
    One of my concerns: I have 2 big dogs. They are fine with my cat (wait..she might be a possible threat, too), but I'm not sure how they would react to chickens.

Using the suggested intro questions, here is my info:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Very new. No chickens yet. Thinking about getting 2 or 3.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Nada

(3) What breeds do you have?
    None yet. Looking for good egg laying hens (for personal egg consumption). Suggestions?

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Google :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Crafting, vegetable gardening (beginning stages), acting.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    Working full-time. Married, mom of three. Well, my daughter moved out a year ago and my one son is joining the Marines in a few weeks. That leaves me with my husband and youngest son (17).
    We also have 2 big dogs (Rottweiler-mix - a bit on the shorter side - who is about 2 years old. And a big white dog with brown spots, which we lovingly describe as being part pony, who just turned 1 year old. Maybe some kind of pointer mix?)
    We also have 1 cat, who is about 15 years old now, but going strong.

I will browse the info sections of this forum, but am open to all info and suggestions you may have.

Thanks!
    Nicole

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Nicole, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! New chickens are an exciting time. Here are some links that might aid you in your journey. If you are undecided about breed, check out the Breeds Forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
    For general poultry info - and a lot of it - The Learning Center can't be beat as it is loaded with great articles that run the range of poultry keeping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Finally, if you'd like to cat with some of your Lone Star State poultry neighbors, locate the TC thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    BYC is full of friendly folks and will help you with any questions you have along the way. Best wishes and thanks for joining!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Redsoxs has given you good links to check out, hope they help answer any questions you may have. The only thing I would add is to consider getting 3-4 chickens...unfortunately things happen and it's hard to end up with just a single lonely chicken. They're flock animals and really do better in a group.

Thanks for joining us!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Nicole, nice to meet you. Hope you will enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already from redsoxs, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Nicole [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just send best wishes to you and your feathered family when they arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by