brand spanking new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bpchicken begin, Feb 18, 2014.

1. bpchicken begin

bpchicken begin New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    Hi, brand new chicken raiser here. I haven't even started yet really, besides talking to a few friends that already have chickens. My husband and I are ready to start raising chickens this year. I'm excited but ,I have no experience. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

2. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I recommended getting everything in place (coop, run, feeder, waterer, feed) before you purchase your hens otherwise you will be in a panic once your chicks arrive.

3. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you looking for something good with kids? If so, Silkies Plymouth Rocks, Dominiques, Buff Orpingtons, Cochins, Old English Game, Amaraucana, Easter Eggers, Production Reds, and Sex-Links are all docile breeds. Very good with kids.

Egg Layers:
    Sex-Links, Dominiques, Production Reds, Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, Easter Eggers and many more lay good sized eggs!

Something small and easy to take care of:
    Sebrights, Dutch Bantams, Old English Game Bantams, d'Uccles, Polish, Serama, Japanese Bantams and many more. These breeds don't take much to care for and take up little space.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You might want to do some reading in our learning center here on BYC for some tips and hints on building the coop, what breeds to keep, raising your babies and keeping your flock healthy. Lots of good reads here....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and good luck in all your poultry adventures!

6. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    Welcome to BYC!

I'd also suggest researching feeds and which feeds you think would be good for you and your situation. Also, if you can, pick up a copy of "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens". Its a great book that will give you a great introduction to most things chicken.

I'd also recommend having some Gro-Gel on hand in case your chicks need a little help.

Have fun with your chicks!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. Definitely check out the Learning Center-- it has plenty of information for new chicken owners or those who have never had chickens. I'd recommend Wyandottes as a good breed for beginners. They are docile, good with kids, great layers, come in pretty colors, and are quite hardy, especially in cold weather.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by