Brand- spanking - new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jules0988, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Jules0988

Jules0988 In the Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I am new to chickens and have been dreaming and wishing and hoping for several years now that I can someday have some girls of my own to learn about, laugh about and grow attached to. At age 51 I know absolutely nothing except what I have read in books about keeping chickens. I am currently a housewife and day care for my Grand kids (ages 2- Grandson and 3- Granddaughter). We also have 6 year old Grandson that I watched from birth to age 5 until he started school. I love all things domestic- cooking, cleaning, decorating, gardening, crochet, knitting and sewing. I am old school. I love being home and taking care of my family and keeping everyone fed and happy. I have worked at all types of jobs while raising our three kids (all grown now) and have decided the home life is for me. I am considering a dog grooming business in my home for a little extra cash in the near future. We have been actively house hunting for about 7 months now. The first criteria for a house was that it did not have a homeowners association. We built our current house 14 years ago and encountered our first experiences with a homeowner's association with utter distaste. We have been lectured, threatened and chastised unmercifully. We take great pride in home ownership and keep our yard and house impeccably clean and tidy- still - they continue to send letters to us for any little thing. Last summer we decided to replace some unsightly boards on the floor of our deck - within 2 days we received a letter stating we were not allowed to dismantle our deck without permission. We were replacing a few boards ! Anyway , I digress. This site is about chickens- and happy things. I knew , even though we were in an area that is almost rural, I had better not press my luck with chickens. The good news is - we found the house of our dreams with no association. By all of my research there is nothing to prevent me from having my dream fulfilled and we will soon be moving. This past weekend provided us an accepted offer. My head is spinning and my excitement can barely be contained at the prospect of this new adventure into the experiences of some of the stories I have read here on this site. I don't know where to start. I guess we will need to first build a coop. My husband is quite handy and we love working side by side on projects together- building the coop will be such an enjoyment knowing we are creating something useful and we will want to build the perfect place for our girls to nest. My brain is on overload with the wealth of information here. I so appreciate this site and am so happy I found you all for support. I will be around and keep updates on here about how things are progressing. Our first order of business is to get moved and settled in to our new place. Thanks for having me here- C ya, Jules (Noblesville, IN)

2. magistradomina

magistradomina Songster

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    [​IMG] I'm so glad you joined! [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on getting away from that stuffy association. A word of advice, build a coop bigger than what you think you might need. Chicken math takes over in no time. Everything we build is with screws, that way nothing is permanent. [​IMG]
    Edited to add. You have come to the right place.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  4. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

5. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Songster

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    Welcome! 4-H is right- Build a bigger coop than you think you will want!

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Songster

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. tcbfan5

tcbfan5 Songster

Oct 19, 2008
    Kansas
    [​IMG] from Ks! Lots of info here! Enjoy!

9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Crowing

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri [​IMG]

10. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: