Brandly New!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MereBear, Feb 10, 2013.

1. MereBear

MereBear Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    Hi Everyone,

I'm an art teacher living in Upstate New York, and my husband to be is an English Professor. We live in a big old house in the city, but will be moving out the country as soon as we are able. We plan to live a self sufficient life surrounded by livestock and gardens galore! For now, we're excited to have our chickens and veggie garden and planning to get a bee hive going this spring.

I just joined BYC, but I've been following these threads for a year. We got our first chickens last spring and so far everything has been wonderful! I've wanted to have chickens for my entire life and finally got the chance when I moved in with my fiance. We converted the shed out back into a coop and built a run right next to it. We currently have 12 birds, 10 are ours and two are fosters from a friend. We have Dominiques (my favorite), Chanteclers, Orpingtons, Leghorns, and one Silkie, who is the sweetest little lady on Earth. We also have a very sweet Australian Shepherd, who loved the chickens from the day they came home, and protects them in the backyard while they free range. She also loves to herd them around the yard and keep them all together.

We're hoping at least one of our hens go broody this spring so we can hatch some chicks, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions when that time comes!

I'm so glad to be part of a network of people who love chickens as much as I do! I look forward to interacting with you all!

-Meredith

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Conratulations on your upcoming move, and welcome to BYC.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MereBear, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Sounds like you are on the verge of a great adventure with your move to the country and chicken acquisition! Best of luck and enjoy the ride!!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills!

Aren't chickens the most surprisingly interesting creatures? They're far more than just egg machines, and their individual personalities are such a delight.

Friends of mine who have chickens aren't the least bit surprised when I slip and use the words "person" or "people" occasionallly when discussing the days' events within my flock. They know I'm talking about the FEATHERED people. Other friends just roll their eyes. They think I live alone....

HA!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]

7. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Florida!!!! Good luck with your chickens!!!! ( an remember how blessed your are that your dog likes your chicken! My dog try's to eat mine so be thank full!!)

8. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    [​IMG] Shouldn't be any problem getting that silkie to go broody for you!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you've joined us.

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by