1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brands of Chick Starter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cvala1015, Apr 14, 2016.

1. cvala1015

cvala1015 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Anyone have a preferred brand of starter food for chicks under 10 wks? I went to TSC and they started me with DuMOR, but wondering if there's a better option. Interested to hear your thoughts.

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Kent/Blue Seal

3. Lukedawg

Lukedawg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    Akron, IN
    I started out with nature wise from nutrena but then switched to country feeds same producer but cheaper and works the same.

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I buy what ever I have money for at TSC. I usually get Purina Starter or Dumor from TSC. Either one is just fine.

5. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I started out with Purina Medicated Start and Grow, 50 lbs $17.99 at TSC. But tomorrow we are going to Rural King and will be getting the Nutrena NatureWise Starter Grower, 40 lbs $12.99 or Country Road Chick Starter Grower, 50 lbs $11.99, IF I can get it non medicated. All of these are 18% protein.

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I usually get sprout brand from mills fleet farm, but I'm switching over to feed mill ground feed that is far cheaper. I also don't use medicated feed, and I don't feel it's necessary to spend more than absolutely necessary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by