Brassica recipes and ideas

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KenK, Oct 29, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Got some real pretty broccoli ready to eat and why did I plant this many cabbages? Not to mention the collard greens. Cauliflower is not doing that well but will have a few heads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Ever heard of Haluski? Apparently it is a Pittsburgh specialty, saw it on Diners Drive ins and Dives one night and decided to try it. Google will direct you to many variations.

Here is the way I do it.
    Fry some bacon crisp and take up.
    Fry some onions in the bacon grease and when they are soft add chopped up cabbage and fry/steam that until it is cooked to your liking.
    Meanwhile; boil some egg noodles.
    Add the noodles to the cabbage and cook a little more.
    Dish it up and crumble the bacon on top.

I've also made it without the bacon or bacon grease and it's real good just to cook the vegetable in some butter or other oil.

It's also very good served with sausage.

My wife was skeptical but after I made it the first time she was a believer, my brother was the same way.

[​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You can make a great cabbage casserole with cabbage, onion, a can of cream of celery soup, some crumbled bacon, and cheddar cheese.

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    My mother used to make a recipe she called "Cabbage for People Who Don't Like Cabbage". You layer shredded lightly steamed cabbage and crushed saltine crackers in a buttered casserole dish, ending with the crackers. Then pour milk over the whole thing until you can see the milk at the edges of the dish. Put dabs of butter on the top and bake at 350 until the milk disappears and the crumbs on top are browned. It's still one of my comfort foods.

5. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    The casserole ideas have me thinking about a deconstructed stuffed cabbage. The kind with ground beef and uncooked rice.

Make meatballs with the ground beef (venison in my case) and uncooked rice. Chop up cabbage and just lightly wilt it and put in a casserole pan, nestle the meatballs down in that and cover with a jar of tomatoes. Cover with foil and bake. How bad could it be?

I'm definitely trying the creamed cabbage casserole with the milk and bread crumbs.

Just made some slaw with one of my "super early" softball size cabbages. Never planted them before and bought the plants on a whim. They have made good little cabbage heads in the time it took for the regular cabbages to just start heading.

6. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    KenK: those are some good-looking broccoli!
    I usually just cut mine into florets and roast drizzled with olive oil & salt/pepper until it starts to brown.
    I've even done this with frozen in a pinch & it still works.

I have a version of your Haluski made w/o bacon.
    Given to me by a vegetarian friend, as I personally see no need to omit the bacon [​IMG]
    After you saute the veg & mix in the noodles you stir in a carton of cottage cheese.
    The heat of the veg/noodles melts the cottage cheese just a bit.

I also have a friend's recipe for a Lazy Version of Cabbbage Rolls where you shred the cabbage and layer that with browned ground beef on the bottom of a casserole then top with your tomato sauce with some Minute Rice added & top with shredded cheese.

SallyF: your casserole sounds yummy!

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    One of our favs is to brown sausage add chopped small head of cabage into skillet with the sausage and let cook till the cbbage is wilty then add a box mix of dirty rice let it all cook togther untill rice is done.

8. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    My mom used to make this when I was a kid and it was the only way I would eat cabbage.

Pork Chops and Cabbage

In a large skillet or Dutch oven, fry pork chops quickly in a little hot oil, just enough to put some color on the pork chops.

Add a can of cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 soup can of heavy cream or half and half and a can of chicken broth to the pork chops.

Add a medium head of cabbage that has been cut into wedges and a large onion, chopped up. Simmer, adding chicken broth if needed, till cabbage is done and the gravy is the right thickness. Taste gravy and adjust seasonings.

Serve it over cooked rice.

9. KenK

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Made a broccoli gratin last night.
    Sauteed some onion in butter until it was soft and then added my broccoli along with just a little white wine.
    Covered and steamed for a couple minutes.
    I let it cool completely before I proceeded, was trying to get stuff done ahead.
    Beat and egg with some milk and stirred in grated cheddar, poured that over the broccoli and onion.
    Topped with grated parmesan and panko, Baked until nice and brown on top.
    It was very good. Went well with a baked potato and venison chop.

[​IMG]

10. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    For collard greens or mixed greens (turnip, mustard, collard):

cook up a large bag of frozen green or a large volume of fresh greens; get them as done as you like them, cooking in salted water only

drain them when they are as done as you like

pour over equal parts of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup - 2 to 4 tablespoons of each of the three

toss the greens with the seasoning really well, then toss, toss, toss some more

taste, then add in some additional apple cider vinegar if desired (I always want a little more)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by