breached live egg - ??? Can it hatch at this late stage???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oesdog, Jul 13, 2011.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Gerty my Maran was sat on eggs. She killed them as soon as they hatched. We had 2 fertile light Sussex eggs so put those under her and planed to take them away on day 18 lockdown for the incubator. As our incubator is a bit hard to keep temp. Anyhow went to check and she had dumped an egg out which was cold. I lifted it and then took the other but it has a whole in the side. Its about half the size of you baby finger nail. It is a full circle out. However the egg was warm and I noticed that the shell bit that is floating moved last night. I thought oh there goes the air sack. But I put it in the incubator anyhow just incase. This morning When I gently turned it it is moving - the whole egg is moving from side to side so I know there is a live chick in it. But we have 3 more days to lockdown and 3 after to hatch date. Is there any hope for this fellow????
    Can anything be done at this late stage - It is too late and too big a breach for a wax plug and if I put tape over it I am frightened I wont get it off without breaking the membraine of the egg for the hatch? Or if the tape will cause infection not prevent it or if it will stop the chick finding a way out?????

Any ideas - anyone had a breached egg hatch?????????

Oesdog [​IMG]

2. Fleezie

Fleezie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Alaska
    only if he is placed somewhere that is not as hot as the inc.

3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Think he is dead. I looked up on another site and they said to use paper towel severel layers taped over the breach. So I went to do it and found my incubator temp was 104! Bugger. ( In saying that it happened last year and we still got two live chicks). I downed the temp asap and noticed the other egg I thought was dead as it was cold is now moving too! Though the one with the breach isn;t moving so I think it got too much heat. I also put more water in as the humidity was quite low. I hope we get at least one chick from these 4 egg Sussex / maran eggs. We have Cream crested Legbar eggs arriving tomorrow and I don;t want them to be compramised. This has not been a good year for chicks in our house.

Oesdog [​IMG]

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

it takes a while for the internal temp of an egg to get to the incubator temp.. so I wouldnt give up on them just yet

the one with the breach may just be resting.. hatching is hard work for the little guys

5. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:They are not supposed to hatch for another 6 days!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not time yet!!!!!

Oesdog [​IMG]

6. yinepu

well. you said you have an egg that's moving.. I assumed it was the chick turning in the egg.. do you SEE the egg move?.. or was the chick moving when you candled?

either way the other chick may not move if it's resting.. it COULD be dead.. but you won't know for sure for a few more days unless you crack it open (which will kill it if it is still alive)

7. yinepu

oh.. also.. i have seen eggs wiggle 48 hours before a pip.. then 24 hours from pip to zip.. so if that's the case you may have an early hatch..

8. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:I hope we don;t have an early hatch as thats as bad news for chicks as a late one. We have had 2 chicks hatch live with help day 26 and 27. Which of course is really rare. Both survived and grew up. They were both Roooboys a legbar and maran. Though the Maran hatched on day 27 had issues curved breast bone etc that needed attention. They now live in a kids petting farm.

The eggs are moving. Once I turn them they still carry on moving over and then shudder slightly and move back a bit like a rocking motion. So there is something in them that is moving!!!!

We have 3 more days to go until lockdown! These 2 eggs were under the Broody for the last week since she killed her own hatched chicks. We were planning on getting them day 18 before they hatched on her. I think she felt movement and thats why she turned on these as well. BAD GERTY!!!!!!!!!!!

I have plugged the breach best I can with tissue and tape which is what the Avian vet site says. But I think there talking Budgy eggs??? Hay an egg is an egg right!
    it has a better chance now.

Oesdog [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  9. yinepu

has it been really hot where you live?.. that can also cause a short hatch.. if the eggs are moving I would seriously consider putting them in lockdown because the chick is trying to maneuver into position to hatch..

10. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:The last few days has been really hot. At the moment I have 4 eggs in the bator that need tossed because I don't hold much hope out for the Leghorn eggs now - day 25
    Having had live hatches later I was reluctant to give up with them but there isn;t any movement.

Then there are these Maran and susses eggs. 4 of them the 2 that were put under the hen because we were trying not to break the brood but she obviously went for these as well! So we have these 2 we rescued from the Hen BAD GERTY ! And the 2 we left in the bator - they were set at the same time only difference 2 were taken out last week after Gerty killed her chicks and put under her. They are due to hatch on 19th.

We have 6 legbar eggs comming which are supposed to go into the other Bator but now I have a bat in that one - it was found Friday in the harth and is a baby. They have a preservation order on them here so I have to look after it and release it but it will take a few days to recover, so I am a bator down drat!!!! Which means I will end up with a staggared hatch in the other bator which I didn;t want as I will need to put the legbars in and turn them and also throw the Leghorns!! Ahhhhh yes its complicated. We don;t have a broody anymore - I was so cross with her for killing her babies and breaching this egg I threw her off the nest and she is back with the others BAD BAD GERTY!!!!!!!! So I don;t have the option of starting the legbars off under the hen and my good broody momma is out of the link this year altogether cause she fell and tor the ligament in her leg so she is in the hospital pen ( WHich was supposed to be the nursery coop) But Gerty was int he big girl spare coop and wouldn;t get off the nest so I didn;t want to disturb her thinking gosh she is going to be a great mom look at how she attacks me when I look in on her BAD BAD GERTY!!!! That coop is now vacant but has a ramp so BErtha can't use it cause she has a bad leg - Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh The new chicks if we ever get any can;t use the big girl shed coop cause they can escape from that one so Ican;t change them over either - At this rate I think I will be ending up just sit the darn eggs myself and clucking on and off a few times!
    Fresh chick Yummy - BAD BAD BAD GERTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its all her fault!!!!!!!!!

So do I turn the two eggs we left in the bator expecting hatch on 19th and not the other 2 cause they could come in 48hrs????? I am soooo confussed!! Going to stay with Bertha in the hospital pen! Oesdog - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

UPdate - we dumped the last of the Leghorn eggs. - sad eggtopsy results 2 didn;t even start developing and 2 had underdeveloped chicks inside. One was about 18 days. It was so perfect but very very dead. So out of those 6 2 didn;t develop , 2 died in their shells and 2 live hatches were killed by their mom. 0 chicks [​IMG] Now we just have 2 light sussex and 2 maran eggs left. oh yes and a bat! Hoing the Bat will be released in the next day or so then the Legbars will go in their until the other eggs have or have not hatched! Then we will put them in the good bator and hope to get at least one live hatch this seasson! I miss Bertha soooooo much! BAD BAD GERTY!!!!! And she laid her first egg already back in the coop all pleased with herself! ahhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by