bread and chickens???????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cobra408, Oct 26, 2011.

1. cobra408

cobra408 New Egg

Oct 26, 2011
    have 27 chickens we feed them about 2 loafs of bread a day. is this o.k.????? We just had a chicken die lastnight. we think it was from an egg that was stuck! Does the bread have anything to do with it???[​IMG]

2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    What else are you feeding them?

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I feed mine a few pieces a day as a treat. They like bread better than mealworms!!

1 person likes this.
  4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I feed a little bread but not all the time.

5. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Mine get three pieces broke up small for about two dozen birds. I also only give it a couple times a week. I had a drop in eggs when I was giving them more. I give them some treat each day, but not a lot of it. They should eat real food, not junk food, same as people. Bread just doesn't have a lot of the nutrition they need.

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I have 15 chickens, 1 roo & 14 hens. They get about 3 slices a day, usually when it is time to go to bed, I use the bread to lead them to their coop. Tonight we were going out to dinner, so they needed to go in their run earlier than usual. So hubby had a slice to keep the ones in the run, in the run. Mine was to lead the remaining ones to the coop, while our daughters rounded up the stragglers.

I do the same with flour tortillas, two a day. If they don't get bread, they get cereal (a 16 oz cup). Today they got a head of red leaf lettuce, tomorrow they will get 2 sliced roma tomatoes, they also have a cabbage in the fridge they may get on the weekend. And then for Halloween, I will cut up one of the pumpkins we have.

I did make my first flock block today (need to add an egg to bind it better next time. But they did love it, wild bird seed, oatmeal, cream of wheat, corn meal, raisins, craisins, walnuts, 3 slices of bread soaked in milk, the last of the peanut butter in the jar. Micro for 15 min, the cooled in the freezer for 10 min.
    Took my crew over 1 1/2 hrs, but they did finish it. [​IMG]

My chickens are in their run till noon, when my youngest gets home from school, they get let out to free range, and then I am home to supervise them. So they get a cup of feed in the morning & a cup at bedtime, they rest of they day, they hunt for goodies in the yard.

7. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Quote:I didn't know you could give them pumpkin, that's a cool idea! Do you take all the seeds out first or does it matter?

8. silkymom1986

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    We have 11 hens and 2 roos, usually give them a 4 or 5 pieces every other day or so! I just tried this new treat trick, I took a head of cabbage and hung it up by a spring and they had so much fun pecking at it and playing with it, it was devoured in less than 24 hours!! Pretty funny to watch as well, [​IMG]

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Nope, you can leave the seeds in; they like to eat those, too.

The first time I gave pumpkin to my flock I was afraid their crops would burst they gobbled so much of it.

10. silkymom1986

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Quote:Nope, you can leave the seeds in; they like to eat those, too.

The first time I gave pumpkin to my flock I was afraid their crops would burst they gobbled so much of it.

Cool, so do you just cut into pieces for them to peck at? Then throw the insides on the ground kinda like scratch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by