1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bread and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sbennett, May 15, 2009.

1. sbennett

sbennett Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Locust
    can we feed small bread peices to our ducks *whites and mallards* or our chickens?

2. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Bread is not good for ducks. Big no no.

it is considered junk food and has no food value ..

Chopped tomatoes, romaine lettuce, peas, are good

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It breaks down in to just sugar when it is digested. Bread is junk.... for people as well as ducks. So is cereal. Also add crackers and pretzels to that list. It is all just sugar in disguise.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Here we go again! Bread as the ONLY feed is not a good ideal, and the other things that Wifezilla added are in fact mostly Carbs with Fats added. Ducks like people need some Protein in their diet. Most of this in modern feed comes from soy beans. Most whole grains also have a relatively small amount of protein but much of that is removed in processing for Human food. In poultry feed ground whole grains make up a fair amount of the bulk (read the ingredient statement found on every bag of feed). As in humans it is important to eat a balanced diet and that is what feed is formulated to provide for poultry. A little extra carbs in the form of treats isn't going to harm their health any more than having desert with a good meal is going to harm you. There are other more healthy treats that can be served. Cook them up some eggs in a form that they can get in their bill and they will gobble them down. The same goes for most vegatables. I have often wondered how many people that type that bread has no food value wander off to the kitchen to make themselves a sandwich? ~gd

1 person likes this.
  5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have often wondered how many people that type that bread has no food value wander off to the kitchen to make themselves a sandwich?

I don't [​IMG]

Haven't touched that garbage in 2 years.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by